Saturday, May 10, 2008

Blogiversary


Allow me to present some history if I may. I started this blog two years ago today. Previously I had some local sites by myself and with friends when we decided that group emails just weren’t enough. About twelve years ago one of us checked out Geocities and shortly after we all had our local sites up and running. We even collaborated on a couple sites. These sites were very much like the blogs of today. It was a lot of fun, but we all seemed to lose interest after a couple of years.

One day I was searching the net for some local photographs and came across Dude Mung’s blog. It rekindled my interest in having a site. I wasn’t crazy about Word Press and Blogger wasn’t very reliable, but I liked the ease of use and the look of blogger, so that’s where I went.

For the first few months I posted five or six days a week. I only posted on Sunday when I was pissed off about something. Eventually I got less pissed off about stuff, but started posting on Sunday for those who checked in. It became a habit to post daily.

Speaking of being pissed off, I used to regularly post a “Sick Day” post on the first Monday of every month, but lately either I’ve found less to be sick about or I feel that I’ve covered most of it in the past. However with Sunday Market starting up again, I’m sure I’ll have something to be sick about next month.

I also post my annual “Death Pool” on January 1st every year. So far I think that Angel Harvey is the only one to pass this year, so far. Last year I called Vonnegut.

Today Astoria-Rust begins its third year. The blog has made some impact on a few regardless which side of an issue I come down on. I’ve heard myself being quoted by others who have no idea who I am. That’s always interesting when you hear people discussing your ideas. It’s hard to butt in and say, “That’s not at all what I meant.” I just let it go because people are discussing the topic. I’ve changed some minds, I’ve opened some minds and I’ve pissed some people off. The readers have often changed my mind, opened my mind, but rarely ever pissed me off.

A few of the things I’ve changed my mind on in the last year have been LNG and the impact of new-comers on the life long residents. I am no longer against LNG, and I try to consider the people who predate my arrival here when I air an opinion on how things should be done here. People move here because it is unique, and then they try to make this place like the place they moved from. They think they know what is best for the locals. Yet people who were born here want more opportunities for employment other than yet another art gallery or a coffee shop. I find the locals have been too nice and too tolerant of new-comers. Though this trend seems to be reversing.

I want to thank all the readers who stop by and comment. People come here from all over the country and three Canadian Provences. Back when I kept stats it seemed that nearly 10% of the readers wrote in comments. Kind of makes one wonder what the other 90% are thinking.

As I move forward into the third year I only hope to become more objective. I hope to continue sharing my view of the things I'm familiar with. I enjoy writing and teaching and hope that I find something to write about by tomorrow.

12 Comments:

Blogger Syd said...

Who would have thought we'd still be blogging, eh? I didn't.

I'm glad you're staying around, bro.

6:04 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Looking forward to my continuing education course via your third year of blogging.
Happy Blogiversary.
(And keep those Sick Day posts coming.)

7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look into the state of childrens services in this state if you want to get sick about something. Talk to some overloaded foster parents or ones that have just seen kids given back to crap parents. Sorry, not something you're probably interested in but just was talking to a crying friend who had a pair of girls she's had for a year given to a father who has been less then 2 months out of prison.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Happy happy, Pappy.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations, happy anniversary.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

Happy blogversary, Guy. I'm glad Boo had you listed. You are one of my few daily regular reads. Have you seen my blogroll? It's a monster.

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy blog anniversary Guy.

I've been reading on and off about a year now and have always enjoyed your comments. You have a great sense of humor. I wish you many more years of writing.

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are intimidated by your masterful way with words and your razor wit, so we rarely dare to offer up our own meager observations in comparison to such brilliant rays of provundancy.

Or most are just as lazy as me. Its easier to chuckle, say "yup" and go and check to see if the flies have found a morsel of rotten meat to regurgitate.

Happy BV!

2:36 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Guy, thanks for your wit and writings. It has truly been an enjoyable experience reading your words each day. I wish that I had the gumption to write as much as you do but alas, my world is kind of busy these days. Keep up the great work!

3:14 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Syd, Who'd have thought we'd still be alive?

Beth, I missed my sick day this month. I'll try harder to get sick about something in June.

Anon, I'm hip to CSD having known someone who is now being dragged through the legal system though she acted properly when a child was injured.

Auntie and Chantel, thanks.

Lori, that's why I don't have a blog roll. Too many people and I often get sick of someone and stop reading them. They would be insulted if I removed them.

G, a lurker for 11 months, eh?

CB, you are no slouch, my dear. That stuff you are doing for NCO is stunning, and your blog comes right from your heart.

Jeff, it isn't gumption, it obsession at this point. Thanks...

4:39 AM  
Blogger Trop said...

Congratulations Guy!

9:26 AM  
Blogger weese said...

glad you're out there in the blogosphere.

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home