Sunday, May 04, 2008

Farm Boots


I find it hard to believe how quickly I go through pairs of farm boots. Usually I can walk through muck, swamps and streams for about two months or so before it happens. I'll step in the water and cold liquid will ooze onto my toes.

In years past I'd try to find the crack or the hole and goo it up with silicon caulk, but that patch may only last for minutes or a day at best.

I know I should go out and buy a more durable water proof boots, but it is so convenient to be able to slip them on and off. Maybe I should start buying them in bulk.

It wasn't all that long ago that I started wearing them. I wished I started wearing them years ago. To think of all the times I felt safe and sufficient in garden clogs only to lose one in the mud and then step directly into the mud while trying to get back into them. I've never had a pair of Crocks. Though the lightness of that clog would be welcomed, the vent holes on the top would not make it good foot wear when there is dew on the grass.

For those of you who this article reminds you that your farm boots need to be replaced, the black and orange ones at Gimres will outlast the black ones from Fred Meyer and they are generally the same price.

7 Comments:

Blogger Syd said...

Crocs lend themselves to some really disgusting results around the barn. Trust me.

I've had good luck with LaCrosse boots. They seem to last longest.

6:29 AM  
Blogger weese said...

I love my tall brown rubber boots. I have had them for 15 years I think.Tho I only wear them rarely. Usually to spread fertilizers and such on the lawn. Or sometimes in the mucky spring if we are dragging brush way out back.

I also used to wear them when I sprayed toxic chemicals on the lawn (which I don't do anymore)
Picture this: Tall brown rubber boots (they come up to my knees...as i am not very tall), shorts, long sleeve shirt, long rubber gloves, goggles (for over spray from the trees of course) - often times a bucket hat. It's all about entertaining the neighbors.

7:19 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Syd, thanks for the tip. I'm going to order some.

Weese, I often say that if the people I left on the East Coast could see me now they wouldn't have dreamed it possible. Let your freak flag fly!

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My wife buys the cheapo version of the crocs every couple of months.

I'm weird about boots. They have to be comfortable. As a younger man, I used to pour a lot of concrete and framing. If you are going to work or play outside around here, you have to have a good pair of rubber boots and rain gear. My favorite rubber boots are
Xtratuf
neoprene. They are comfortable enough to wear them all day and they are tough and will last.

I'm not sure how much they are or who sells them locally. I bought these over ten years ago at Gimre's.

12:22 PM  
Blogger richpix said...

Buy yourself some Wellies There's a reason they've been in business since 1856.
Also available here for a dollar less with free shipping.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Mike S said...

Wellies are great for winter around here too. Just get'em a few sizes large and pile on the socks to prevent freezing.

Like Syd, I also recommend LaCrosse and CAT boots. I've had a pair of each for longer than I like to think about.

Got an ancient pair of LL Bean hiking boots that've gotta buncha miles on'em too:)

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My boots usually last at least a year. My last pair were bright yellow with flourescent orange soles. The ditch gods left them for me laying against my lower fence along the road. They'd been there awhile since they were pretty algified, but a thorough scrubbing then a few hours on the boot drier and they were good to go. They lasted over two years before one just split wide open while I was calf deep in my stream cleaning out storm debris. Bad timing. A long squishy walk back up to the house.

My current pair are black with skulls and cross bones all over them. Pirate Booties. ;-)

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home