Friday, May 02, 2008

Markets


Yogi Berra once said "Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded." This reminds me of when things grow so large and get out of control or depart form their original simple mission.

Recently I commented on another blog about how big the Crab, Seafood and Wine Festival has gotten that it can never return to its humble roots where it was a fun thing to attend.

I also commented on Astoria Sunday Market. Aside from the crowds, the dogs and the strollers that that make this weekly event difficult to maneuver through, I find myself missing the little market it once was when it was held on Saturdays by the Astoria train station. In the beginning you went there to buy fruit, vegetables and plants off the back of someone’s pick-up truck. You could buy some wooden ware for gardens. It was totally agricultural in nature. If you came here after the demise of our old Saturday Market, you missed something that was really sweet. The present Sunday Market is more like a Wal*Mart in comparison.

At the present market you can buy all sorts of crap that you don’t really need which has absolutely nothing to do with agriculture or common sense for that matter. I mean does anyone really need a PVC marshmallow shooter?

The sea of white vendor tents without local business licenses brings to mind Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves as they spent their days crafting their wares and going from market to market in a hopeful attempt to remove lucre from the locals.

When I used to go to the old Saturday Market, I would leave feeling refreshed and grateful. When I leave the present Sunday Market I feel tired, angry and abused. I wish people in power would realize that bigger isn’t better. It never is.

Labels:

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn...PVC Marshmallow shooters? Damn...do you think they would ship out of country?

Moose

6:53 AM  
Blogger weese said...

here here

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where is the picture of that sign from?

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more about the marshmallow shooter...

however,

Bigger can be better and is in some instances.

You started it Guy.

10:32 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Moose, you can make one for a lot less.

Weese, Where? Where? ; )

That sign is still hanging on the building behind the West side of City Lumber. What's in been 15 years? Good sign.

Anon, you are too nasty. You know I should do a story on anatomy one of these days.

11:25 AM  
Blogger richpix said...

Something tells me you're going to do a post on photographers soon.

11:45 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Rich, I hit the wrong button instead of putting it in my to do pile. And it's not what you think.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Evil Witch said...

I have to agree, the only thing I've ever purchased was a hat and it was over priced. I remember when the Portland Saturday Market was a tiny little market place, now it's a throng of crowds and irritable people.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Mike S said...

Have ya ever considered getting some others to join in, stealing the sign, and 're-starting' a Saturday "Farm Produce Only" market on a hunka land near a thoroughfare? Sorta "Build it and they will come". Might be surprised how many shoppers want fresh farm goods and how many small farmers want an outlet for their surplus. If like here, loadsa farmers can't get as much local stuff into the stores in the cities to the south because they're small producers. The answer here's been Farmer's Markets and local store sales. Still seems funny to buy fresh veggies at the back of the 'hardware' store M-W-F.
Maybe if you suggest it to the right crowd somebody will run with it. Worth trying.

2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a great picture Guy! I used to eat my lunch back there on occasion.

I hear what you are saying and I am adverse to crowds these days. Which is odd because it wasn't long ago you would find me smack in the middle of a mosh pit.

Bull riders don't have nuthin on me.

7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scappoose is struggling to keep it's tiny market going. We'll let anyone local who makes their products themselves sell. Mostly it's plants and veggie people, season depending. But there are plenty of jewelry and other craft folk.

My husband and I go at least once a month if not more.

Someday I hope to be able to sell honey and fresh eggs down there.

7:59 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Mike, the local market is run as though the Mafia were in charge. It's a branch of the City. There were lots of historic pissing matches over the old market. I'm just going to raise my own food and be done with it all.

G, do we know one another?

CC, my only advice to them is is to keep it small. Jewelry is not a farm product. I just don't like it when they sell other stuff at a farmers market.

5:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There aren't enough farmers around here to support a produce only market. I'm working on increasing that number as you know, but it's going to take a while.

When/if I get going strong I'll be mining your brain for all your alternative product recipes.

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure who you are guy.

I'm Glenn. I grew up in Lewis and Clark although not out as far as you.

It's very possible we know each other. We can take this to email if you prefer. taggbro@gmail

10:17 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

CCF, You are going to have a very busy September, I promise.

Glenn, Now I know who you are. We met years ago. Bill Shay appointed me to a committee that reported to you and other board members.

5:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

guy: I'm still in the dark (which isn't all that ordinary for me). Which committee?

Have you heard how Bill is doing these days? I always liked him.

2:58 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Airport advisory. Oddly I had little expertise, but Bill asked me to be on it.

I haven't seen Bill since he left the port. He had some good energy.

5:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home