Saturday, July 12, 2008

Computer Microscope


Years ago Intel made a microscope that had a USB connection. At the time Intel discontinued making them in 2002; these things were selling for under $70.

This supposed “toy” was cool because not only could you view objects for 10X, 60X and 200X, but you could light the objects from above or below the slide. You could simply view the object on your computer or you could use the device to take still photos, or 15 frames per second moving pictures.

You can still find this scope for sale on the internet for under $100, but I’m not sure if it is Vista compatible. There are others you can buy with higher resolution for Vista that now cost around $350, though none at that price go beyond 200X. Things start getting really cool above 200X.

Just seeing how far things have come with computer I/O devices in the past 20 years makes me hope I’m still around 20 years from now to see what will come up next.

7 Comments:

Blogger MissKris said...

So many computer things are out of my realm, like this gadget you wrote about. When I got my first PC I considered myself doing pretty well just figuring out how to turn it on, haha! I've come a long way since then but I still have this underlying fear that some day I'll hit a wrong button and blow the thing up!

9:32 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

I really miss my old electron microscopes now I'm retired. Great toys onna slow day:)

12:21 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I wish I were getting into all this technology with the eyes and mind of someone in their 20s. I'm at the point where I miss DOS and Word Perfect ver 5.

6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vista compatible?

Who in their right mind would downgrade to vista?

Linux is free and hackable.
Dual boot software exists to boot windows and linux. I personally run xp/ubuntu. I'm waiting for microsoft 7 because of all the problems vista is having. I still run two programs that won't run on the linux os. One is Timberline estimating which is due soon to release a linux compatible edition. My construction management software is due to release a web based edition so that will do away with the need to run on windows.

Oh yeah, the intel microscope looks pretty cool.

6:38 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Vista comes on the new machines, so rather than buying even more soft ware we are using one computer as is. My laptop uses XP and my desktop uses 98.

Other than a lot of pop up messages that come up on vista, the only real annoyance is how slow it is on the Internet when using a dial-up connection.

6:04 AM  
Blogger MissKris said...

I agree with you on that one. I am so thankful my daughter talked me into getting DSL when she bought her laptop. Sometimes it'd take me 10 minutes to sign in on dial-up.

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are using vista and don't like the annoying pop-ups, microsoft has a tweak program called Tweak-UI which has options to change your experience.

http://www.totalidea.com/content/tweakvi/tweakvi-index.php

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home