Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Dice Are Not Stacked


As modern humans we have come to accept things when they don’t work out. It is more often the norm that things don’t work out so accepting isn’t the right word; expectance is more like it.

We know that the package of hotdogs will contain more units than the package of hot dog buns. We understand that when we buy bananas that are perfect in color that we will be composting the over ripe ones in three days. We expect to miss out exit on the freeway, and so on…

I once heard someone say that if our toasters gave us as much trouble as our computers we would throw them out the window.

But sometimes things do work out. We have a carafe coffee maker and it makes exactly the amount of coffee that my wife and I drink every day. Exactly! If we put a cup in the microwave, the carousel turns and returns the cup handle to the exact position it was in when you placed it in there.

I am starting to realize that for everything that doesn’t work out there is an equal number of things that do work out perfectly. There might possibly be balance in the universe after all.

5 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

I think I must live in a parallel universe - but I'm going to keep my eyes open for some of that balance.

6:51 AM  
Blogger weese said...

wow. our coffee pot does the same thing.
wow.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Please, Oh Please. let this be true!!! :) I think I need this to be true right now.

Ooooga Boooga!!

3:34 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, your roof leaked and you fell in love with a roofer. Nuff said?

Weese, if we ever visit we'll bring out own coffee pot so as not to upset the delicate balance.

Chantel, I do know that if you buy a fifth, it will contain more than enough to get you and Dr. B. loaded.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Uncle Walt said...

But if we expect things not to work out ... and they don't ...doesn't that fulfill our expectations? So things work out how we expected them.

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home