Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Ones That Get Away


The other day “g” asked how I remember all the stuff I write about. I sometimes feel like I forget more than I remember. In fact you get to read this today because I simply can’t recall the cool thing I wanted to write about today. It was a flash in my head, and it went away as quickly as it came and totally faded by the time I picked up a pen to jot down my idea.

It reminds me of people who keep a note pad by their bedside so they can jot down their middle of the night ideas that come to them. I did that for a while and was disappointed each time to wake up to unreadable penmanship, or concepts that a mind in the world of the awakened couldn’t grasp in whole or even in part.

My articles all have triggers and fortunately most of them stick with me long enough for me to jot them down. I often repeat the topic like a mantra just so I won’t forget between conception and jotting it down.

Sadly, I probably lost hundreds of blog topics over the last two years because I didn’t write them down.

10 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Repeating things like a mantra, jotting down notes - all those things we do (or, at least I do) to compensate for the aging process.
Or was I always forgetful? (I don't remember...)

6:20 AM  
Blogger weese said...

I loose them too.
Sometimes I jot down some keywords in my notepad that I carry with me. and only sometimes do I later understand what the heck I was thinking.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

Spreadsheets.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I lose my notes.

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I steal Guy's notes when he's not looking. ;-)

7:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Did I miss something? Or did I "loose" track of the conversation that says its better to say "loose" than "lose".

Never say lose I guess. I'm not correcting anyone's spelling I'm just interested in how words get picked up and then everyone starts using them. Or in this case misusing them. Everybody is loosing it so I must be the loser and I big enough to admit it.

What were you saying guy?

8:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I keep notepads everywhere and make notes in my phone. I go back to them but they often make no sense at all. However I generally write them in my head and can't get to the next one until I finish the one I was thinking of. My notepads? end up being shopping lists of things I never buy.

9:49 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, fortunately for you many of your posts are book reviews so you can just leave the books out to remind you.

Weese, we need palm pilots.

Lori, Database not spread sheet, but then you are a bean counter...sorry. As you were.

Syd, you are nearly always around a computer and you post them as you think them up.

g, One word, "Mayonnaise." Nuff said?

CP I don't remember now.

Chantel, and you looked so together on your TV interview at Blogher. I am proud of you.

5:39 AM  
Blogger dalia said...

i always jot things down. i may not get to write about a particular topic on the very same day i think about it, but eventually, it makes its way to blog...

11:56 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Dalia, your profile doesn't list your blog address. Care to share?

5:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home