Thursday, August 28, 2008

August Rains


I love it when it rains during the summer. Back when we had a forest here I would worry about the fire season during our dry summers. It seems that last year was a wet summer, and though July this year was dry, August delivered some relief. It’s so nice to see the pastures turning green again so early. Normally they become dust bowls with an occasional weed growing that the horses won’t eat.

It rained during the summer where I grew up on the East Coast. There would be a heat wave that would be broken by thunder storms with heavy rain. However here in Oregon it stops raining on the 5th of July and it doesn’t normally start raining again until October.

I had a friend I used to go fishing with that would tell me we always get a couple of sprinkles during August that would encourage the cut throat trout to go up stream and that was true. After the August sprinkle you’d begin to see people fishing the rivers again. It must be a good year for fishing since we’ve had nearly two inches of rain so far this August.

Grow pastures, grow!

2 Comments:

Blogger MissKris said...

My young childhood was spent growing up along the southern borders of the Olympic Rain Forest in Washington. I kid you not, it probably rained 300 days out of the year back then. 60 degrees was a heat wave, ha! I had no idea other climates existed tho my mom, who grew up in New Hampshire, bemoaned the lack of 4 seasons here constantly. Or at least the 4 seasons SHE knew. I love the rain, too...LOVE it. I even take my grandbabies out if it's drizzling. I never melted in it...I don't think they will either. I have a friend who lives in El Cajon, CA, and she tells me quite often how much she misses the 'green' from the years she spent living in Oregon. If I want dry, I go camp out for a week in Central Oregon.

5:11 AM  
Blogger weese said...

go rain!
we had a very moist summer, the grasses stayed green the whole time. Now that its dry - they are stating to brown out like they normally do in July. But - the nights are cool, which usually makes the grass green up again.
Our poor confused grass doesn't know whether to go dormant and grow like weeds.

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home