Saturday, August 30, 2008

Leisure?


I find a striking difference between living in the country and living in a suburban neighborhood. It seems that suburban neighborhood folks either never possessed or have lost the ability to take care of things them selves.

I often see my neighbors in the country taking care of their own major projects, but in the suburbs you will see service professionals doing the work. It seems that many people in neighborhoods have lost either the ability or desire to cut their own lawns.

I admit that sometimes I am jealous of people who have time for leisure. I would love to be able to have a leisurely read of the Sunday paper and then go for a stroll down town and have coffee in a coffee shop. I’m at the point where I’d feel guilty going to a movie because I could accomplish so much with those two hours at home.

Sometimes when I’m covered in dust and sweat I think forward to a day when I’ll be too old to keep this place up. Maybe then I’ll have leisure time. At least I hope so, if I live that long.

11 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

Ah, nothing like some nice "country whine".

Missin' you. Get back to work.

6:34 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:34 AM  
Blogger Uncle Walt said...

Sorta ties to a theory I heard years ago, and believe is generally true.

The further a person is from working on the land, the more independent they tend to be in all things from the physical to the philosophical.

8:37 AM  
Blogger loopymamain06 said...

hhmmmm dunno about walt, but i'm taking a break from building my own pump house/pool shed, as i contemplate the 10 dollar an hour paycut in my job at a factory.
my muscles are stronger to hammer in nails=the glass is half full.
loopymama

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It takes a certain kind of person to be able to "sustain" a life beyond sidewalks and street lights. Thank god for duct tape and bailing twine :)

12:43 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

I hear ya, brother.

8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leisure time? L-e-i-s-u-r-e t-i-m-e... I have that, in January when it's raining sideways, the house is reasonably clean and it's not time to start dinner yet.

Right now I'm making breakfast waiting for it to be late enough I can fire up the skill saw without making the neighbors scream. Building another coop for my husbands show birds. Ah crap I just remembered I need to fix a perch in the existing chicken coop. So much for leisure time.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

Love the Seurat wannabe. Stole it.

I don't even tell folks back home (family, friends) that I have a gardener and a maid. They wouldn't understand it's cheaper than the hospital bill I'd be getting from my latest heart attack if I didn't have them.

6:32 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Auntie, I wish you had said "get back to leisure."

Walt? Huh? That doesn't make any sense. And Daleks for your avitar? Cool!

There you go, Loopy!

Ginger, I think I did a piece here on bailing twine. Yep, I use it for every thing. I'm glad no one uses wire any more.

Syd...a..hem, I saw your alcohol buying spree. Don't tell me you have no time for leisure. ; )

CCF I know you are evening working when you sleep.

Lori...lucky dog...

6:45 AM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

Not exactly, Guy. My gardener mows the lawn. It takes him 42 seconds. The trimmer guy comes in behind him and they are here less than 5 minutes. I tried asking them about the crabgrass I have at the new house and they fell down to the ground and started pulling it out by hand. I had to muster all 12 words of Spanish I know to make them stop. I've been hand pulling weeds the entire five weeks I've been here.

The maid is Russian. She hates my cleaning stuff. She sneers at my vacuum and brings her Oreck in. She makes more than I do in a year, clearly. I have a $69 vac from Target.

The cost of both is the cost of lunch for a month. Less in fact.

And, I'm still always beat.

9:52 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

We have a 4 hour lawn and a 10 hour house.

5:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home