Friday, November 28, 2008

Plastic Goo

What do you call the clear plastic goo that is used as an adhesive sometimes when they stick paper to a plastic surface? It’s almost like rubber cement, but it does come off both surfaces with some friction yet you have to grab a bit of it and pull it off like some weird snot. The first time I saw this I thought to myself, "This is some nasty evil shit!" The stuff is really disgusting, but it is a great adhesive. Does anyone know what it is called and if it can be purchased by regular people?


Blogger darev2005 said...

Guy, it's a type of hot glue called a "releasable adhesive". You can get some here if you like:

But ya gotta blog and tells us what you used it for! (grin)

4:13 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, I just really wanted to know more about it. I don't really have a use for it. It's plastic snot, who wouldn't be curious about that stuff? Thanks for your fine research on it.

5:36 AM  
Blogger MissKris said...

On my last surgery they used something similar to close up my incisions, if you can believe that! I could shower afterwards without worrying about getting it wet and it was great! I just had to make sure I patted it dry and didn't just WIPE it off, haha! That would've been a big 'oop-sie', at least for the first couple of days. I saw on the news this morning they have a new laser treatment being tested in Israel that they've been using to close incisions with amazing results. I went home so fast after my two laporoscopic surgeries - both within 24 hours, mind-boggling to me considering both were major undertakings. With laser on the horizon, maybe they'll operate, zap us closed, and send us on our way! Good grief, with such short hospital stays my combined bills came to close to $33,000. Can you imagine what it'd cost for a week's stay?! My sis-in-law just had major surgery with lots of problems and she's been in there close to 2 weeks now. Luckily she was just approved for the Oregon Health Plan. She and her hubby had both lost their jobs and haven't been able to find any. Sorry...I'm rattling away, aren't I? It's a baby-less day and I get carried away on those, ha! ;-P

7:12 AM  
Blogger dalia said...

in magazine speak, it's called "snot-gluing" and with good reason.

i love the stuff. i love to pull it off and play with it and throw it at people.

(the adhesive, not actual boogers! lol)

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got a name for that stuff.

8:07 AM  
Anonymous ColumbiaControlFreak said...

The surgical glue is essentially super glue. For a long time vets were usuing just superglue, then the pharmacutical industry caught on and now the hypo-allergenic stuff they HAVE to use for people is like $50 a tiny tube.

Super glue still works just great and I ALWAYS keep some in my first aid kits. Just remember to thoroughly clean the wound before applying the glue to the edges only of the wound.

And it stings pretty bad so be prepared if you're using it on an awake critter or yourself.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

We probably need a support group or something. I love the shit too.

10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey there!

Are you referring to Museum Wax? We artists use it to temporarily but snuggle hold little things in place, such as teapot lids, when on display so people don't fiddle..You can buy it at Art Media in Portland. Am enclosing a little info on it below:

Museum Wax

Crystalline Clear Museum Wax for anchoring Collectibles & Artifacts!

Contains .5 grams

Semi-Permanent, easy, simple and reusable. Used by Museum Professionals to secure art, glass, statues, china and more!

Directions: Knead into soft balls or strips. Place several pieces around the base of the item. Press on table. Remove with a slight twist up. In stubborn cases, use mono filament fishing line or dental floss and pull through wax with a see-saw motion. Remove residue by wiping with cloth or using mineral spirits.

3:07 PM  
Blogger darev2005 said...

I like to play with it, too. Sticks to things nicely. Stick a spoon or a baby rattle or a package of tic-tacs to the kitchen window right before the wife goes in to wash dishes. Draw a target on paper and have a contest with the neighbor kid. It's a blast.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Mike S said...

I used to save a ball of it in my tool box to apply to wrenches when working where no good place existed to lay them down so they'd stay on irregular surfaces. Also good for holding the misc screws etc when disassembling stuff. Take an egg carton & put a glob in the bottom of each indentation. Almost spill-proof.

The past few surgeries I've had in various body locales have been mostly 'glued together'. Kinda neat. Also keep superglue in my 1st aid boxes, right next to the duct tape and wirecutters(fish hook removal). It does smart like hell though & it's best to have steady hands applying it.

1:52 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev and Dalia have it right. Snot glue. When American Express sends you a fake credit card in the mail it is stuck to paper with snot glue. I'm more curious about it than actually wanting it. The stuff is creepy.

Syd we need a support group for many other reasons other than this.

Anon, I think what you are talking about is really a wax, and there is something else like it that you can put on paper that is removable. Watercolor artists use it to block out sections they do not want to paint on and then they can rub it off. Potters also have something to put over areas they don't want to glaze. But none of these are snot glue.

Thanks for playing one and all.

6:29 AM  
Blogger loopymamain06 said...

LOL! I just always called it snot...heh heh's just another thing that wasn't around when we were young....i remember the very first time I came across it the mail!
gives me some good ideas for april fools day on my twin teenagers though...thanks guy

2:56 PM  
Blogger Mike S said...

I actually haven't heard it called much other than 'snot glue'. A VERY fitting monicker.

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home