Friday, November 21, 2008

Gators, I Tell You!



Some sounds can mimic or at least compare to other sounds. Familiar sounds are like how the sound of sizzling bacon in the pan can sound like rain falling on a metal roof, or the way coyotes howl can sounds like emergency sirens. Laughter can sound like crying.

There are certain sounds that have no comparison. One that comes to mind is the sound of hatchling alligators. Oh it’s a cute sound if you’ve never heard it before. It’s just cute enough that I’m sure people and other animals have been lured in to check out the sound and ended up as a meal of the gators mother. Here is a link to the sound Baby Gator.

We’ve had some warm evenings lately where I’ve been hearing frogs croaking in the pond or in the swamp near where my horses live. However, I have also been hearing the unmistakable sound of baby alligators. It is faint but it is clear. My mind starts wondering as to what if someone dumped a baby gator in the culvert and if the winters are mild enough not to kill a little gator. How long before the lives of me or my animals are in danger.

I’ve heard this sound for three evenings now. It stops when I stop what I’m doing to listen for it, but as soon as I resume my motions it starts squeaking again.

It was on the fourth night of this that I realized that what was squeaking like a gator was actually my new barn boots. The left boot squeaks like a baby alligator whenever it is twisted in a certain direction. Talk about fear of one’s own shadow. Yeah, I’m a bumb-ass.

8 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

"Bumb-Ass" ? Isn't what I would call you....he he he he.

Are you still on your forced bacon hiatus? Pork-fat fast?

I will try to smuggle some to you at some point in time.

6:01 AM  
Blogger loopymamain06 said...

HA! ...No D.A.....but it does show you just how easy our imaginations can and do run away with us sometimes. You should have seen me the night the spring broke on the garage door!
loopymama

9:36 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

That was a very strange noise. I'd never heard anything like it. If I ever heard anything like that my first thought would have been "Aliens!" I remember one foggy morning when we were living down in Branson that I stepped outside and heard the strangest noise. DId you ever see the movie "Predator"? This alien hunter makes this strange throaty clicking-growl noise that was pretty creepy. Well, something off in the fog in Branson was making that same noise that morning. Very nearly had to go change my pants before i went to work. Never did figure out what it was, and maybe I'm glad.

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was a kid, one night I was walking back from the barn, it was dark and just quiet enough for me to hear a squeaking sound...I listened REAL HARD and started looking around...It sounded like it was following me. I stopped...it stopped...I started walking...it started squeaking...I kinda got scared! Until I realized it was a grommet rubbing on my jeans. Makes me laugh just thinking about it :)

4:01 PM  
Blogger Uncle Walt said...

Guy ... those boots aren't made from 'gator hide, are they?

Now THAT would be weird.

6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was out in the dark and rain acouple nights ago refilling the chickens waterers when my cat started that low growl that means he's seeing something really nasty in the dark. You can bet I scanned my headlamp through the shadows, but the cat just hunkered lower and growled deeper never wavering in his stare.

Ok so maybe it was another cat. Then theh dogs on the other side of the fence BOTH started growling and whining.

Ah crap! I dropped the hose and made tracks for the house and lights!!! THe cat beat me back. I did make sure the coop was locked up tight before I ran. Never did find out what it was, but they've never reacted like that to just coyotes. I'm wondering is the resident cougar wasn't out there.

6:47 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Auntie, If I eat bacon now it won't be so special when the tomatoes are in next summer. I will resist until then.

Loopy, that would be enough to send most people through the roof. Those things are wound tightly and take a couple seconds to uncoil. Loud too I bet.

Darev, Maybe it was a gator!

Ginger, welcome to the Dumb-Ass Club. Elections will be held in January.

Walt, it would be weird, but these were the rubber slip on barn boots that last for about two months before they start to leak.

CCF That was certainly a gator!

5:41 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I certainly won't be thinking to myself "Cool! We gots gators in Oregon!" I'll be thinking "Holy crap! Gators!" And I'll be bringing a tire iron when I run out to the tomato plants.

But then again, I've always wanted a moat around my house.... Hmmmmmmm........

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home