Sunday, February 22, 2009

Screamin'


What do you get if you cross Spike Jones together with Cab Callaway and throw in some zombie voodoo? The result is Screamin’ Jay Hawkins.

Sometimes we hear songs over and over throughout our lives and never really pay attention to them. However the next time you hear Hawkins 1957 hit, I Put a Spell on You, listen to it actively and you will be treated to a real piece of Americana weirdness.

Hawkins died in 2000 and fortunate someone posted this gem on YouTube. I Put a Spell on You. It is every bit as interesting as the studio version.

5 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

That was some heavy strangeness. It almost sounded like he forgot the lyrics (or possibly lost his place) there towards the end of the song. Sometimes we tend to forget how really strange americans are. That was very cool. It reminded me of the dreams I was having while taking chantix. Wish I could have recorded those!

6:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crossing Spike with Cab?? Well...how about if you cross a gay eskimo with a beekeeper during the winter....a snowblower that doesn't work. I crack myself up sometimes...

Moose

6:20 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, you need to hear some of his other stuff as well.

Moose, you crack us up, too. Spring is coming and you will able to get out soon.

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Listen to Syd Nathan's "work with me annie" 1954 the lyrics will blow you away.
The Midnighters followed up with "annie had a baby" the lyrics also will blow you away.

6:51 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Anon, Can't say I was blown away, but I did see what could have been a pre-cursor to the minimalist movement. I could also see something that may very well have inspired Ike Willis early in his singing career. Thanks for the tip. I love checking out new stuff even when it is 50 years old.

5:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home