Monday, February 23, 2009

Then, Now and Later


I’ve been thinking about how much our costume/clothing has changed over the years. The clothing we now wear is totally different than what was worn in the 17th Century. It is easy to see the difference, but even when you get more local in the time frame there is a major shift in fashion every decade. Think about the styles of the 20s and 30s when women, other than flappers, wore long heavy material. Their hair was forced into plastic like curls. Men dressed more formally with formal hats.

In the 40s fashion moved ahead where women wore mid length skirts and blouses and their hair was allowed to be fuller. Men still wore suits however their hats were less formal.

The 50s had women wearing more pleated skirts that valued volume and movement. Men were shedding their neckties but wore baggy pants that were more tailored and pleated. Their hats were becoming much more casual.

Fashion was defined by the youth in the 60s. Most adults continued dressing as they had in the 40s and 50s, but the youth wore tight pants, boots and suddenly color became an option. The 70s were a continuation of the 60s in a sense. Remember that Woodstock happened in August of 1969 and the fashion fall-out wasn’t fully expressed until the first few years of the 70s. There were also leisure suits.

The 80 brought on some weird sort of YUPPIE garb which mixed items such as designer jeans, Izod LaCoste polo shirts, while some sported spandex, leg warmers and big hair. (I dated one of those…)

The 90s seemed to go totally towards silk or cotton, natural fabrics of denim, wool or linen.

I’m not sure what the look is of our present times. There seems to be some retro statements going on, but in general it seems that costumes are all fighting for attention asking to be the statement of a generation. Nothing seems to be rising above the pack. We will probably have to wait for ten or twenty years before the fashion of this decade is defined.

Now think ahead two-hundred years. The generations ahead will look at our strange fashions as we look at the dress of those that signed the Declaration of Independence.

12 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

I’m wondering if blue jeans (a fashion fixture since the 50’s) will ever go out of style and/or if there is an age when it is no longer appropriate to wear them. I hope not!

4:47 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I have the coolest Mark Nason boots!

5:00 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Me, I've always been in favor of hats. I never met a fedora I didn't like. I just hope the prevailing fashion won't turn out to be those stupid huge pants hanging down under the butt cheeks. That always makes me want to slap somebody.

5:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In 200 years you woulg still be wearing your Wellingtons, plaid shirts and occasionally suspenders with your jeans. Some things, like Guy, just never go out of style......

6:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks to me like short skirts and dresses are in, some movie star probably started the fad, now teens are in the fad.
I think it's a crime to charge $100.00 or more for jeans and plain stupid to pay it.
The boys baggy look is finally going bye-bye.
Way more boobs are shown.
Once again, thanks for the good , interesting post.

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope parachute pants NEVER come back. I saw a man wearing a pair about a year ago..crazy colored fabric..I just shook my head :) And what is w/ the belt line below the buttocks...how do they keep them up?

12:33 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, Denim was origonaly prison garb that somehow jumped the fence.

Jeff, you should return them to that homeless guy before the police get involved. Really dude, they are fugly!

Though I am balding I rarely wear my formal hat any more. I wear a helmet while on horse back, and I never wear a hat indoors.

Anon, I am perpetually out of style, but I'm OK with that. But thanks for the compliment.

Anon, I too don't enjoy the "Look at my underwear, or butt crack." Neither do I enjoy the "Look at my belly and my titties" thing either. Youth is wasted on the young.

Ginger there will always be ten minute retro fashion crazes and thankfully they don't last. Being one of poor future vision I can't even imagine what waits for us around the corner of time. Cellophane?

12:56 PM  
Blogger dalia said...

i love the feminine, full skirts of the 50s, the nipped-in waists and the tight bodices. i love the high heels, the lipstick and the hairdos. i love the suits and hats that men wore, and the concerted effort to be presentable.

i love the crazy fashions of the 70s and the mod 60s. i often lament that i was a teenager in the wrong era. i was a teen in the late 80s early 90s and every pic i have from that time makes me cringe.

5:30 PM  
Blogger g said...

nothing beats a good pair of faded levi's, t-shirt, boat shoes.

i do miss wearing plaid polyester pants while golfing though.

6:31 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Dalia, having been around during the 60s and 70s I can say that the "looks" weren't as universal as one might think. Most people dressed in non trendy themes and those that were in the fashion of the day stood out, but there was still some general impression of the era in the air. Does this make sense?

g, yeah, what's up with that golf stuff? Do they dress that way to psyche out and distract the other players?

5:14 AM  
Blogger g said...

i equate it with a uniform. notice how uniforms (in sports) tend to trend year after year?

6:40 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I never watch sports.

5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home