Thursday, March 19, 2009

Farewell to Battlestar Galactica


Sadly this Friday will usher out the final episode of Battlestar Galactica. Based on the roots of the 1978 TV show, this new version was resurrected in 2003 and has since grown to be a standard by which many science fiction ventures are now measured.

This series has been dark, but well written. The characters are every bit as complex as characters on shows such as the Sopranos. I didn’t get into this show until the third season, but borrowed the previous two seasons of DVDs from a friend and got caught up and since then I have been caught up in all of it. I am sorry to see it go, but there is some hope. The SiFi network, soon to be SyFy, will be running a prequel starting in 2010. This series will be called Caprica and will take place before everything got weird. I hope the writers can hold to their present high standards.

SiFi will have an eleven hour marathon on Friday before the two-hour serries finale. So don’t call me on Friday because I won’t be answering the phone.

7 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

I just hate it when a series ends. A couple of years ago we were in a thrift store and I found season one of an HBO series called "Carnivale". I had never heard of it (we aren't big teevee folks) but it was only three dollars for the whole series, so I bought it. Started watching it and it was awesome. Hunted around on ebay and bought season two and watched it and was hooked. Started looking for season three and discovered that HBo had cancelled the series after two seasons. Mad as hell. Good teevee is rare these days, it seems. Haven't seen any of this new Battlestar. Now that you've recommended it, I may give it a watch.

6:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deadwood was more my style and no...I'm not talking about my dangling participle...

Moose

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I was VERY sad when Stargate SG-1 ended after 10 seasons *sigh*

5:05 PM  
Blogger g said...

i miss battlestar gallactica spaceglow putty.

6:59 PM  
Blogger richpix said...

I think worse than a series going away after a good long run is a show you find excellent disappearing suddenly mid-season with no conclusion or fanfare. At least with a show that's been around for a while you get to see the (hopefully) compelling last episode and know it's coming. When a show goes away suddenly it's like setting down your coffee and coming back a few minutes later to find it's disappeared. Or having the waitress bus your table when you only stepped away for a minute and were looking forward to the last few bites of your salad.

9:21 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

You know, HBO should end their shows in a better way. Carnivale was yanked when it was getting good, as was John from Cincinnati. And even though they built up the end of the Sopranos, that sucked. Chris Issiac had a great show on Show Time. I'm hoping for good closure tonight.

4:22 AM  
Blogger loopymamain06 said...

Farscape, and "Earth 2"....but then john critton and whats her name went to stargate...weird
loopdaloop

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home