Sunday, July 19, 2009

Bei Mir Bist Du Schoen


My recent post on Klaus Waldeck and his album Ballroom Stories brings to mind an adaptation he did on the old song "Bei Mir Bist Du Schoen", See the video, it’s really good.

“Bei Mir Bist Du Schön” is a Yiddish song translates to "To Me You're Beautiful." Americans having trouble with Yiddish called the song, “My Dear Mr. Shane” and eventually in 1964 Smith Street Society Jazz Band created a parody called “The Bear Missed the Train.”

This song was a reoccurring theme on Jean Shepherd’s WOR New York radio show and luckily someone posted it on Youtube for our enjoyment. Excelssior Shep!

4 Comments:

Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

Nice!!

lol...the bear missed the train.

4:43 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

That's probably another one of those most frequently misinterpreted song lyrics. Catchy tunes in a foreign language are about enough to drive you insane at times. I remember when "Dominique" was a big hit when I was a kid. It was all in french and I made up all sorts of things trying to make it make sense.

6:08 AM  
Blogger Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

Thanks for turning me on to Waldeck...Love this video, too...always been in to vintage and funk, great combo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rPvSC5UqLk

And misheard lyrics, made me laugh and remember this one "Slow Motion Walter, the fire engine guy" (I cheated, I have the book)

7:55 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I did a post recently on songs lyrics in the ear of the beholder, but parody is even more fun especially when the parody becomes more popular than the song it is based upon.

5:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home