Saturday, August 15, 2009

Come On, Come On…


I’ve been good all year. I haven’t purchased or eaten bacon since the end of the tomato season last year. In an effort to keep bacon a seasonal delight and something to look forward to; I have a self imposed bacon restriction where I will only eat when the tomatoes are coming off my plants.

We started late this year, but the tomatoes caught up quickly in the green house. It was looking good a couple weeks ago so I bought some bacon in anticipation, but the tomatoes never seemed to ripen. My Beefsteak variety just sits on the vine, green. However there is a glimmer of hope. The cherry tomatoes are ripening at a rapid rate. So I broke down and made my first BLT with cherry tomatoes.

It was a perfect moment.

8 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

The short people and I foraged in Mammy's garden yesterday too. Her cherry tomatoes or SUWHEET!

5:58 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

If I like tomatoes, I would probably have drooled all over my keyboard. As it is, I raised an eyebrow at the thought of bacon, but that's all. I do wish you and your arteries luck with the ripening, tho. You've been so good all year you deserve it.

7:47 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

oh. my. goodness. gracious.

I always have bacon in my fridge!

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Pam said...

Guy, you prevent yourself in partaking of SO many fun activities. Really, you should do bacon more often.

10:07 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Auntie, they are good for something.

Darev, that's why I only do it while tomatoes are ripe and not the rest of the year.

Amy, you have little discipline ; )

Pam, YOU have NO discipline.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

That sounds good. Haven't had bacon in many years.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

We do exactly the same: No bacon all year; but I'm afraid we almost make up for that when the tomatoes are producing.

2:53 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Tango, time to come out of that shell and have some.

Donna, I have it so fixed in my mind now that it is only for summer eating that I the smell nearly sickens me if I smell it in the winter. Sorry to hear about your hay getting ruined. It's tricky timing it right.

6:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home