Thursday, August 06, 2009

Cocktails Times Two


We’ve recently taken up the habit of having cocktails in the evening. Spaulding Gray once described his day as BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ,
Cocktail Hour, Ahhhh,
BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ… I can relate, so in the evening we chill.

My measurement and timing aren’t always good. First our blender holds more than it should and the crushed ice seems to take up more room than it actually does, so no matter how we try we can never make just one drink. So after my first drink the other evening I realized that there was another drink waiting and would be wasted if not consumed.

I’m a lightweight when it comes to alcohol and I was ready for a nap after my second drink, but I realized I still had chores to do; like put the horses away and there was one box of bees that need to be checked and manipulated. This is my problem colony; not that they are defensive and nasty, but rather they are raising brood where they shouldn’t be. So, I put on my protective gear and staggered out to the hives. I was clumsy and it was amazing I didn’t get stung to death over the way they were handled. When I was done I realized no one should ever take on that sort of task when drunk. Things could have gone terribly wrong. It was sobering.

From there I gave the horses hay and their food and rather than walk next to them I just opened the gate from their pasture and they walked down the driveway and went into their stalls without me leading them. That act could have been a disaster as well.

So for me, no more drinking before the chores are done.

9 Comments:

Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

LOL...when you are a light weight, even the simplest things can be dangerous. Like my ex husband getting out of bed, walking to the closet and taking a piss on the stereo which was kept there at the time. Luckily it wasn't plugged in.

4:26 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Wow,our cocktail evening on the front porch made it into TWO posts!

5:48 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Hmmmm.... so you are saying "Don't drink and hive"? Sage advice indeed.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

The comments here are as funny as your entry.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

I see you almost got a "buzz" on (and isn't there a cocktail called a "Stinger"...HaHaMeow

7:02 PM  
Blogger g said...

i've always made it a point not to manipulate bees when i'm sober.

what were you thinking?

7:20 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Tango, I've heard of this happening before to other people, pissing in dresser drawers, clothes hamper. It's hard to believe that people can forget where their toilet is.

Auntie, I now have a reputation. Tango wrote me last nigh and asked what I was drinking.

Darev, Usually hive work is done in the morning, before drink time.

Paula, I encourage that sort of thing around here.

Terri, yes, Honey there is.

g, I wasn't thinking, but that's what alcohol does and that's why it's good.

6:31 AM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

Yeah, and you wouldn't tell me. So are you making blueberry daiquiris? You make me want to break out MY blender.

6:38 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

They are spendy.

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home