Monday, August 03, 2009

Fair Debriefing



As always, I get a little sad when the Fair is over, but I anticipate this and I go around the exhibit hall to really look things over and share empathy because I understand what sort of work goes into making or growing the things that are displayed. I learn things from the exhibit hall every year. This year a display of chicken predators hit home having lost all my chickens recently. It was a good display. I marvel at the quilts, especially those that have been hand quilted. There were very good photographs and drawings, and the foods looked great even without tasting one could just imagine how good they would be if one could taste them.

The staff and volunteers were always on the go in golf carts, Gators and tractors. The grounds were neat and clean. Special thanks go out to the folks with probably the most boring job, gate keeper at the vendor parking entrance.

This year there was free parking and many people I spoke with loved that and hope this would continue next year. It was a big bonus for the pockets of visitors.

By Friday the stress was becoming too much for the competitors. The kids were getting tired, cranky and some easily brought to tears. It is frustrating when something you've been training and practicing to do over the last year goes horribly wrong. Preparation for next year's fair begins today for many. Many contestants will lick their wounds and take a lesson from this years mistakes and move forward to improvement.

By far (in my eyes) the coolest thing was a good deed that involved the post I did on the Fair last week. Someone replied that they and their family would not be attending the Fair this year due to the economy. Fair Board Chairperson, Mike Scholerman wrote me and asked me to have this person contact him. He didn’t want a family that loves going to the fair every year to miss out. Mike gave them his own Fair Booster passes. That was a real stand-up thing to do, Mike. I appreciate it, as I’m sure the recipients of your kindness do as well.

This is the cool thing about the Fair and it’s Mikes leadership that seems to set the pace, but what we have is several days of the community giving to the community. If you enter an animal or an item in the fair you are giving. If you make or buy some Presbyterian pie you are giving. If you are a vendor or a volunteer you are giving. If you go there and share a smile with someone you are giving.

By the way, Mike also asks that if anyone has any comments, suggestions or complaints about the Fair, please bring them forward. You can send them to me and I will get them to him. He listens. That’s why there was free parking this year. Hopefully that paid for itself with increased attendance.

In closing, I enjoy the Fair more and more every year. I hope to be called into service again next year.

11 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

'Strue, without Scholerman, there would be no fair.

You know how much time and money he donates to the Fair, the FairBoard and money he donates to immunize all of the animals etc?

You would be amazed.

5:56 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

It's definitely nice to see a civic leader of any sort actually giving to the community rather than just raking in a paycheck. Mr. Scholerman actually sounds like a decent person. That's a rare thing these days. Our fair ended this weekend, but having no kids in the house we didn't attend. From what I hear, we didn't miss much.

7:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike is "da man" of the week! Stop by Papa Jacks and thank him. Be sure to buy something also. On a side note, I noticed that the Republican Party had a booth, but the Democratic (aka Rivercreepers) didn't have one this year. Can only assume, they aren't fond of the smell of dung which is kind of surprising based on their current overthrow agenda!

8:58 AM  
Blogger g said...

mike is good people and the fair is lucky to have him.

and you can tell him i said so!

6:56 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Mike is definitely the man. I hope everyone will support his store in it's new location on E Harbor Drive in Warrenton.

Sadly, other than Edwards, I have no idea who the other Fair Board members are.

6:56 AM  
Anonymous dalia said...

i love fairs. i haven't been to one in a while... they don't do that kind of thing much in the big city...

9:36 AM  
Blogger Guy said...

Time to get out of the city when one comes up.

7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to the fair 3 times over the week and had a great time. As a past 4-H'er and fair lover, I did have to notice a few things: What is with the lack of food booths? I remember the donut man, elephane ear booth, taco booth, along with the 3 staples that were there this year. I also wish the people at the gate would have had fair boosters for sale. I didn't know where to get one, and after paying $6 for the 3rd day in a row, I realized I should have just bought a booster pass. I would also like to applaud all of the buyers at the auction. Despite the economy, prices were great and the animals were selling quickly!

11:19 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Anon, I was surprised as well, but I think it was more to do with timing. I believe the Washington County Fair ran the same week this year and the food vendors went where there was more opportunity to make money, so I hope that rewarded the vendors that did come. They did sell elephant ears in the indoor food bar and one place had big doughnut holes. The fish and chips were great and the pies and waffle cones from the Presbyterian tent were outstanding. On closing night they estimated they went through 70 pies.

Booster buttons are available at the Fair office. I get mine before the fair starts, but I'll pass it onto mike that selling them at the ticket booth is a good idea.

Yes, the auction prices were strong this year, and especially if you had one of those family names that the bigger companies like to court. Still I saw steer going for $2.50 a pound. That's a good deal. The problem for me was I got a quarter steer once and it took us over a year to eat it all. I'd like to find a partner to split a pig next year. Anyone game out there?

12:32 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

We had a great time, the kids always love that corn box. I end up washing dried corn out of their chonies for the next week, but it's worth it.

3:32 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Mo3, Great. I hope to see you there next year.

6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home