Monday, July 27, 2009

Fair 2009


The Clatsop County Fair begins tomorrow and I encourage all local readers to go out and partake in some of this event that happen here only once a year. I mean everyone should get a stiff whiff of pig shit at least once a year.

But really, it’s a good thing to show support of the hundreds of friends and neighbors that donate their time volunteering this annual event, beit parking cars, judging events and entries, emptying the trash. You also support many local vendors. Your attendance at the Fair especially supports all the young people involved in FFA and 4-H. I have to agree with what Betsy Johnson said in a recent interview, (paraphrase) “These kids aren’t out knocking down your mailboxes. They are busy helping out on the family farm or working every day with their market animals.”

I would like to hope that Fair attendance could match that of the Crab Festival, but without alcohol I doubt it ever will happen. I know I’ll be there every day, probably twice every day. Parking is free this year, finally! I’ve been sounding off on this for years and I’d like to think someone listened.

The Fair is a great place to see things you normally never get to see in your daily goings-on. It’s also a great place to take photos and people watch. It’s a great place to ask questions and get cool answers.

13 Comments:

Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

Pig shit? I think I prefer horse shit instead.
It's been 30 some years since I've been to a fair. Ours is coming up next month. Maybe I'll check it out this time. :)

5:09 AM  
Anonymous Pam said...

I go every year. Just for the pig-shit and the funnel cakes.

5:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What ever happened to the Wauna Mill booth and the free toilet paper?

5:49 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I always liked going to the county fairs. Especially seeing the fowl. I never knew there were so many friggin different kinds of chickens! And some of them are so odd looking you just have to stop and say "Okay..... why?" I guess I'm just a closet utilitarian.

6:46 AM  
Anonymous Pam said...

No more T.P., that's true. Dunno why. I think Bradwood Landing and Oregon LNG will be there handing out little mini-pipeline and tanker toys to the youth of Clatsop County though.

6:52 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

The new slogan should be 'There will be funnel cakes.' That oughta bring people in.

I'm with Rev. I love me some demented lookin' chickens, too. and those rabbits that look like they had an unfortunate blow dryer incident!

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Ginger said...

Glad to hear that parking is free this year. I hope it brings more folks out to one of THE BEST hometown fairs I've ever been to. On another note...actually, I have known a couple of 4H kids that made homemade bombs in their barn and then went around drunk driving and blew up mail boxes...maybe that's different than knocking them down? The kids were dealt with, and from what I've seen, We won't let a couple of bad apples ruin the whole barrel in clatsop county :) A big thanks to those who help out and make the fair a great summertime tradition in our household.

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ginger. Must be Knappa kids. They would never do that in Jewell or anywhere else in Clatsop County. Mailboxes blowing up is the trademark of Knappa.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Guy said...

Tango, I get horse shit every day, but pig shit only once a year.

Pam, Atta girl.

Anon, people were throwing entire rolls in the porta-potties. It was waste and economics and there could have also been a tiff with the fair manager...

Darev, same reason there are a lot of dogs.

I doubt Bradwood will be there, but if they were I'd take a t-shirt.

Amy, rabbits with that Texas look.

Ginger, if you see me there, please introduce yourself. Gwen knows where to find me.

Anon, Taylorville.

6:20 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Hahaaaaaaaa..........I choked on my coffee. Texas hair. You gotta love it. or at least make fun of it.

12:58 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Amy I choose the later as opposed to the former.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

First one we have to miss in four years, Guy. Recession.

12:25 AM  
Blogger Guy said...

Mo3, I hear you on that. It seems the fair gets smaller every year, so you are missing less, plus it's awful hot out there.

5:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home