Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Thar Be Whales!


I had the occasion to visit the Cove in Seaside midday on Monday and there were some whales about a thousand feet off shore. Their spouts were clearly visible. Unfortunately the cove isn’t deep enough to encourage whales to breach and really show themselves like they would if they coming up from a deep dive.

I once heard stories from a surfer friend who would surf all summer at Short Sands. He told me that he often heard the whales sing when his head was in the water. Now that is pretty cool.

One can easily see whales around here in late December and again around mid-March. This is when the Gray Whales migrate from Alaska to Mexico and then back for the spring, but these summer time sightings are special. I have no idea what type of whale it was, but I’m sure one of the readers will have an answer for us.

7 Comments:

Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

Wonder what it was doing out there this time of year?
I think that they make my favorite sounds..very soothing.

5:32 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

It was a Summer Whale. Pretty rare around there. Even rarer here in the midwest. Haven't been any sightings of them around here for years.

5:37 AM  
Anonymous Auntie said...

I vote Pilot, or a Gray Whale that is a little later than it ought to be passing by here.

5:43 AM  
Blogger Uncle Walt said...

Obviously a male of the species ... got lost and refused to ask for directions.

7:06 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Tango, it beats the hell out of shark sounds.

Darev, must be you don't shop at Walmart.

Auntie, they will milling about and not going in any particular direction. I'll see if they are there today again.

Walt, maybe a tourist from Walmart that went out too deep.

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daughter and niece saw whales spouting off the south jetty the other day.

11:49 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Very cool, I didn't see them at the cove today.

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home