Friday, July 24, 2009

Heart Sick


This morning (Thursday)finds me heart sick. It started as a normal morning for me. Up at five, the coffee timer started my morning brew so the first cup would be ready by the time I got down stairs. I had a shower, checked my email. I fed the horses and went out to the chicken yard. There was a sickening feeling as I approached the chicken yard. It looked as though there had been a massive pillow fight; feathers everywhere. My flock of thirteen had been reduced to eight.

Raccoons ripped through the bottom of the fence. It’s not like I didn’t anticipate this because when I fenced in the yard I ran an extra fencing flat along the ground where grass grows over it to prevent something from digging their way in. It was brute force that detached the ground fence from the vertical fence.

So to all my egg customers I now have only four layers and one of them is seriously injured. The other four chicks will not be old enough to lay until the fall. Today I will be digging up the entire perimeter of the yard and burying corrugated metal roofing panels.

They killed one Aricona, both Silver Laced Wyondottes and two Barred Rocks. I’m just heart sick.

15 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

I've been there so many times, with wild varmints and people's dogs.

I know the feeling.

5:32 AM  
Blogger a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

I'm so sorry sweetie. Sending hugs across the miles and holding a private ceremony in honor of the fallen. :(

fucking coons.

5:43 AM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

Rat Bastards!

5:49 AM  
Blogger weese said...

very sad.
peace to the chickens.

5:59 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Hugs, darlin'.

6:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've been there more times than I care to admit. Racoons, neighbor dogs, and mink....Rat bastards.

Want to replace those chickens with geese? We have few extra.

: )

Jenn

7:13 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Update. I fortified everything last night and locked the remaining chickens in the hen house, and something still got in and killed five more. I have one chick left and I will be looking for a home for her today. I am officially out of the egg business.

7:52 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Dammit! I'm sure my sister will take your stray. She's like that. It sucks, but it's part of the farming life, yes? At least they didn't get the horses, too. Losing the income from the horse eggs would be devastating, I'm sure.

9:28 AM  
Anonymous dalia said...

aw! i'm sad for you...
peace out to the lay-dies...

10:48 AM  
Blogger Trop said...

Damn. So sorry Guy.

3:55 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Thanks for all your phone calls and sympathy.

5:37 AM  
Anonymous Ginger said...

Sorry to hear about your loss. Those raccoons...they don't stop until all the food is gone. I say: take care of the raccoon (you know what I'm talking about), then start over w/ new chicks. I have two VERY LARGE and mean looking dogs. They are constantly bringing dead bodies (no cats or chickens) into the yard...luckily, the dogs are VERY protective of "their" chickens :) I haven't had to shoot anything in quite a while. That reminds me, I need to get out and practice my aim...on a paper target. Also, I hope you have another distributor of farm fresh eggs...because the withdrawls from those orange yolks can be brutal.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Guy said...

Ginger, I'm pretty sure it was a mink or a weasel. It fit their execution style. I will never stoop to getting a dog, because I become just a bigger part of the problem where I live. These critters aren't afraid of the bands of dogs and roam here already. I'm just not going to have eggs until my next new chicks start laying.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

Now I get it, Guy. Shit, I'm sorry. This just happened to my friend in town two months ago. It was raccoons in her case, her dog, who guarded the chickens, tore after the three raccoons, and got a huge gash under his chin and on the nose, which abscessed. All for naught, they tore the two hens to bits. This was on West Lex.

12:23 AM  
Blogger Guy said...

Jack?

5:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home