Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Never Say...


I thought carefully about how I titled this since I don’t want to lure anyone here looking for info on a movie that was once filmed here that begins with the letter “G.”

After the slaughter of all my chickens by the minks or weasels I was ready to give up. I invested a lot of money building their coop and I have yet to recuperate but only a small percentage from egg sales. I could turn it into equipment storage, or I could get some goats. It would make a good sized goat house. However I really miss my chickens. I miss seeing how excited they get when I approach with table scraps. They come running from every direction when I appear with a container in my hands. It makes it easy to gather them up at night.

Another benefit with chickens is that the horses have few flies this year. Chickens seek out and eat all fly larvae and are pretty good at catching flies on the wing as well. Now the hens are gone I expect a plague of face flies over the next month.

Back to “Never Say Die”; I decided to get new chickens again. I ordered 26 from McMurray’s in Texas. The day old chicks will arrive sometime next week. I will have five of each: Barred Rock, Rhode Island Reds, Black Star, Buff Orpingtons, Silver Laced Wayandottes and one bonus rare specialty chicken.

I’ve weasel proofed the coop so they will be safe. I next plan to weasel proof their run so they will be free to come and go as they please when it is too inclement for them to be free ranging. First eggs will be expected in late December.

17 Comments:

Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

Awesome! I'm glad that you aren't giving up. :)

5:05 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

This is my attitude with the Jersey cow. I bought one, she was sterile. The one I now have has given birth, but many things could happen. If anything happens that she can't breed again, or have a calf, I'm getting another. On and on until I leave this place. Because life is just better with a Jersey cow around.

6:06 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Maybe you could get a few geese to guard the chickens. A friend of mine one had a special garden and he put geese out near it. Nothing ever got to his plants and nobody ever came on the property without him knowing about it. Geese are mean as hell. I'll bet they would beat the crap out of whatever is going after your critters.

7:59 AM  
Anonymous Taylorville Tammy said...

Git a Dog

8:08 AM  
Blogger Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

Yay,I like hearing this and thinking about them and you enjoying them, too. It's not all about breaking even in the end.

I'd take a gander at the geese...

9:11 AM  
Blogger weese said...

this makes me so happy.
yay.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I want chickens! *sulk* You better be posting some pictures so I can live vicariously... :-P

12:56 PM  
Anonymous jb said...

Yay, Guy! I think chickens are neat. I had banties once, and they were the best bug catchers/eaters ever. Do mink operate the same way as weasels? I would bet that it was a mink since there were mink farms out that way. Do we have weasels around here? (Well, other than the human kind?)

2:10 PM  
Blogger a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

fuck a weasel and a coon! the chicken charmer is back!!!

i like eggs.

5:06 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Tango, I'll just have to give up something else.

Donna, I've failed on larger scale before.

Geese are just more fun for weasels to kill than measly chickens.

Taylorville, Nope!

Terri, I do enjoy having them around.

Weese, Me, too.

Amy, Coo Coo Ca Chew!

JB, I have a trap out for it but nothing yet.

Irish,Watch that cholesterol. Don't love it too much, I want to keep you around.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

Guy, I will say this, my Lab alerts us whenever a raccoon even comes near the front porch. I think in this case, your hatred for dogs is biting you in the ass, my dear. But I hope you will out-engineer them just the same. I'm pulling for them.

12:28 AM  
Anonymous PAM ! said...

He really should get a dog, I think. Good point MO3 and TT.

5:20 AM  
Blogger Guy said...

Mo3, and your dog lets you know every time a fly lands on a stick in your yard, every time a neighbor flushes a toilet. To me dogs are smelly ass bags that bark with little or no provocation.

5:41 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Also, I forgot to mention that it was a dog that killed six of my chickens earlier this year.

7:14 AM  
Anonymous Ginger said...

Whatever the critter...I am so glad you have not given up.

The dogs you speak of who "bark w/ little/no provocation", I call "False alarmists". I used to have one...I understand what you are saying. Having a dog is like having kids...you have to teach them...and bathe them...If you got a dog, I know a dog trainer (you do too) who could probaly teach your dog to shoot a GUN! Critter problem solved :)

6:01 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Ginger, I doubt I'll ever get past my dislike of dogs. I didn't know she was a trainer, too. It's been nice seeing her every day this week.

5:44 AM  
Anonymous dalia said...

good to hear it. you seemed pretty broken up about the other set of chicks being wiped out. hopefully this one goes much, much better. good luck to you!

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home