Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Monsters From the Id


I was out having a cocktail on the deck the other evening and an industrious neighbor within ear shot was cleaning up whatever project they were working on. I could hear their shop-vac running freely and then race as though it had gulped up too much and then run freely again. It dawned on me that this sound was very much like when the Monster from the Id attacked the crew in the movie Forbidden Planet.
If you skip ahead in this clip to the 2:45 mark and watch it till the 3:45 you will hear exactly what I’m talking about.

Forbidden Planet Clip

I knew it wouldn’t be long before the Monsters from the Id moved into the neighborhood.

8 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

every devil-making thing that you know has now moved into your neighborhood! are there any missing?

6:04 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I've got screaming kids in the playground next door to me. Trade you?

7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you were not smoking a joint at the time, or were you?

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Pam said...

Anon....HA HA HA HA HA HA

8:01 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

A scary sound indeed. At least you knew what it was. When we were living down south near the lake we got lots or morning fog and for some reason the sounds were amplified and altered. I heard some really strange noises coming out of the fog. A few of them scared the snap out of me.

8:01 AM  
Blogger g said...

another reason i like the sounds of silence in upper brownsmead.

i gotta check out that movie though. haven't seen it before.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

Oh, you made me go look...there's another minute I'll never get back...hummmm,hummmmm, hummmmm

8:50 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Auntie, I don't want to look under every rock.

Amy but at least you get weekends and summers off.

Anon, Nope, haven't in years.

Pam, shut up, bitch...

Darev, when it's foggy here we can hear the fog horns on the Columbia and that's nearly 10 miles away.

g, Forbidden Planet is the grand father of all Science Fiction films. It stars Leslie Neilson (before he got into comedy). I watch it at least once every year. Pay special attention to the sound track it was totally produced electronically. In 1954 this film was so far beyond its time. Thankfully no one has tried to remake it.

Teri, This film is a classic and like a Fellini film you can't judge it by a one minute scene.

5:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home