Saturday, August 08, 2009

Horses Are for Guys, Too


After all these years of going to the Fair and events with my personal emphasis on horses, I find it odd that equestrian events are 99.9 percent populated by young women and girls. In all these years I can only recall one young man in these competitions. I wonder why that is?

I loved horses when I was a boy, though I didn’t have one of my own. Had I owned my own horse I would have loved competing in these events.

I guess in horse country the boys are more into rodeo events of getting bucked, kicked, dragged and stomped nearly to death after they spur, rope and otherwise abuse animals that are frightened and have yet to be trained. I suppose there are roping and cutting horses that are well trained and riders that have some equestrian skill sets, but generally boys avoid equestrian event that requires skill instead of brute force and the ability to recover from injuries.

The thing that makes it extremely odd for me is that most horse clinicians are men. If you go down the list on RFD-TV you will see Anderson, Lyons, Parrelli, Shrake and a dozen other men, and then you see only Julie Goodnight and Meredith Hodges as women trainers.

Guys, here’s a hint. Being able to teach people how to ride and how to manage their animals equals big money and a side benefit is you’ll always be able to find a date.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Pam said...

c'mon, you must know why the horse world is predominately populated by females.

6:57 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Is the pre-adolescent female dream to ride horses. Very freudian. To control such a huge animal with the merest pressure from her hands and thighs.... yeah. Whereas boys want to control things and break things. Some of us, it seems, never get over that.

8:10 AM  
Anonymous Pam said...

Darev got it! It's all freudian and come to think of it, horses are really creatures that you cant ever totally control or "break". They will always have their own will in the end, and a human could never probably physically overpower them. Therein lies the reasons that most boys (except cowboys trying to bust 'em) aren't attracted to horses.

Okay all that nonsense was on one cup of coffee. Of for my second now.

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband is sure horses will all suddenly realize how big they are and how much easier life would be if they were predators.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Uncle Walt said...

Anonymous ... Shhhhh. At least the llamas and camels have only taken their 'tude to the spitting stage.

So far.

2:50 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

OK, I'm not sure I want to analyze this topic any further. Ho boy!

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home