Thursday, August 20, 2009

Heat Stroke


I had so many things I wanted to work on this summer, but one project seems to be taking all my time. I’ll be writing about that soon, but I finally came to a point where I could switch projects for a couple of days. I am now putting a new roof on my shop, the tractor shed and one horse stall. They had that wiggly metal roofing on them since I built these structures.

The problem with this type of roofing is that in our humid climate it seems to get a lot of condensation that drips on all my tools. I constantly have to take steel wool to my table saw just to remove the rust. There is a bunch of other stuff I don’t like about it so I’m removing it and putting down plywood and rolled roofing.

The day that came available to start the project was the record breaking heat day, last Tuesday. I was able to pull half of the panels and fasten down the sheathing. I drank a lot of water every time I came down the ladder. After only five hours I found that I was getting dizzy. It isn’t a good idea to be dizzy while on a roof so I gathered my tools and came down.

I don’t do well in the heat, so I went to the porch where there is always a cool breeze. Though I was cooling down I felt sick and exhausted. I probably drank over a gallon of water before going to bed. I slept an hour later than normal.

Today I will continue and finish the other half. It should be cooler, and I plan to get an earlier start. Maybe I’ll even be able to get a layer of felt paper down.

9 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Stay safe - and keep drinking the water. Better yet, if it's another hot day, put off that chore!

4:32 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

I have to watch out in the heat too. I start feeling sick to my stomach, next I get dizzy. I've learned to watch for the signs, and to wear a straw hat outside in the sun.

5:24 AM  
Blogger weese said...

i do this too.
inevitably on the hottest days of the year i am either moving gravel, ripping up sod or some other ridiculously heavy work.
on cool days all there is to do is sit on the tractor and cut the grass. what is up with that.

6:06 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Guy,

You are a dork!

6:19 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I start a weeks vacation next week and all the stuff I need to be doing is outside and in my shop. I'm hoping for cool weather. I need to cut up a bunch of metal to take to the recycler and clean out my shop and build a new workbench. And if it's too hot I'm not going to get much done. Man, you get heat stroke one time and it affects you forever. Pfui.

7:05 AM  
Blogger Trop said...

I got really dehydrated on a 15-mile walk once. It was very scary and I ended up getting really sick. I never want to experience that again.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

My 10 year old had the same thing happen. We were at Six Flags the other day, where he consumed a funnel cake laced with whipped cream and ridiculous amounts of oreo cookies, and then started running around in 95 degree heat. Then came the dizziness, the vomiting, and the headache. Needless to say, we decided a long break in an air conditioned restaurant was a good idea...

12:08 PM  
Blogger richpix said...

Heat sucks.

Right now it's just after 4 am and it's still 80º here. With 76% humidity to go along with it.

Be glad that your heat waves only last a day or two.

1:22 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Some of the nausea was still with me on Thursday. Wednesday was warm again so I worked from 9-11 and then from 3-6. I felt better. It was cloudy and breezy yesterday so no problem. I've got the felt paper down so it's OK if it drizzles today. Next week I'll finish Super Max. Article to follow with photos, eventually.

5:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home