Sunday, August 16, 2009

New Chicks


The new baby chicks arrived last week. There are 26 of them. Five of the following varieties: Barred Rock, Rhode Island Reds, Black Star, Buff Orpingtons, Silver Laced Wyandotte’s, and they threw in one exotic chicken as a bonus. I have no idea what the bonus chicken will be, but it does look different from the others.

We handle the chickens daily to get them used to people. This makes it easier to handle them when they are adults.

As for keeping them safe, all the vents in the coop have hardware cloth covering them. They are also living right now in a hardware cloth cage with water, food and a heat lamp.

After having them for a week now they can already fly up about a foot high. I am looking forward to a couple weeks from now when the chicks have their feathers and can go out and scratch and peck the ground and dine on table scraps.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

McMurray's free exotic is rarely exotic and 199 times out of 200 a roo. Mine was a mean damn white cochin who ended up as burrito filling. My neighbor ended up with a barred rock roo, real exotic. But I've known a few people who ended up with nice roos, lots of polish and sultans.

columbiacritter

7:00 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Even though that woman is my sister, there are times when I have no idea what language she is speaking.

7:15 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, Roo=rooster=dinner as soon as they start crowing.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

the red headed chicken in the upper left shall be called Amy.

thank you very much. :)

10:58 AM  
Blogger Trop said...

I can't wait until we have chickens of our own.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

So...how long until we can expect eggs?

11:21 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Amy, but you have black hair. I could name one of the black stars after you. I don't normally name live stock because it's easier to eat them if they don't have a name.

Trop, two local towns now allow them within city limits, but Seaside just voted down chickens. Rat bastards!

Tango, probably December. The cool thing is that young chickens while working out the egg laying thing often will lay double yolkers in enormous eggs.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

Ha, you've got me going way down memory lane 40 years ago. That's the last time I experienced a double yolked egg.

4:03 PM  
Blogger a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

new chicks. i've been replaced. great. :)

5:48 PM  
Blogger a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

lol...Heather :)

5:50 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Tango, you can find them sometimes at a grocery store, just buy Jumbo eggs.

Heather, Darlin, never. You are my main chick, but I hope you don't mind sharing me with Tango, Amy and the others I flirt with that write me more often.

7:04 PM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

Jumbo eggs must be huge on your end. I've never gotten any with double yolks in them, :(

7:27 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

::GASP::

GUY! I've got reddish brown hair with a little...um.....blonde. (or grey....but let's not get technical)

I need to post more pictures of myself.....

5:19 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Amy, no need to post them, just send them to me directly ; )

7:03 PM  
Anonymous dalia said...

i've never seen black or brown chicks before! a little bit awesome!

6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home