Friday, September 04, 2009

Faulty Weed Free Science


How often have you heard that some well known scientific fact was totally wrong? It seems that many of the scientific facts that we have been fed are accepted only because the outcome of a study is beneficial to someone or some group. It may be something like what foods are good or bad for. Remember when butter was bad and margarine was good? Remember when we needed to drink at least six glasses of water a day?

These days I am very skeptical in regards to global warming, especially since I’ve seen how it is related to solar irradiance which we are presently in a downward cycle. I have to question the objectivity of the researchers and those that are writing these papers.

Though I never ride my horses on US Forrest or BLM lands, I feel bad for those that do because the two aforementioned agencies have adopted laws against weed free hay based upon junk science. This means that anyone planning to ride their horses on their land must feed their horses certified weed free hay at least three days before venturing onto their trails and continually as long as the horses will be ridden there.

The claim was weed seeds were making it through the horse’s digestion process and when the horses pooped on the trail these weeds were growing out of their feces. What has actually been found is that there are few weed seeds in most hay and they are usually digested and that when a horse poops on a trail their manure fertilized weed seeds that are already there and usually brought in by birds. Pasture weeds are not being found in the forests. Invasive weeds from bird feeders and imported garden plants are what are being found.

The US Forrest Service and the BLM need to revisit the science used to make these costly decisions even though the certifiers, growers and sellers are having their hay day in profits.

9 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

There are far too many agendas out there – so I’ve developed my own.
Ignore (most) agendas and use my common sense. (What’s left of it.)

5:58 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Oh yummy, 'scat-ology' before breakfast. Thanks, really.

6:46 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Maybe you should start boxing up all of your horses poop and mailing it to them for analysis. Use those priority mail boxes from the post office and they will get there fast and won't cost as much. I imagine someone would break after a week or two of that.

7:41 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

What horse shit!

10:23 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, the longer I know you the more I see you giving up on common sense. This is a good thing.

Auntie, I know you prefer scat talk after 5pm, but you just need to read my posts later.

Darev, I'll just avoid BLM land.

Syd, that gives me an idea. I doubt the rule applies to cows so can I borrow Bruno for a weekend?

4:35 PM  
Blogger g said...

guy, we are definitely on the same page. the first thing I thought of when i read "faulty science" was indeed GloBull warming.

9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh, more global warming deniers! Well, you're in good company (Sarah Palin, Rush Limbaugh, James Inhofe, Exxon-Mobil...). Don't let your children (or anyone's children, for that matter) be exposed to that junk science they dish out in our evil public schools: they might learn about evolution! Or plate tectonics! Or genetics! Or any one of hundreds of so-called scientific theories that require some actual thought.

9:40 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

g and Anon, I can't say that I truly know about global warming. I haven't been convinced either way. Both sides of the issue are supported by junk science. There is a lot more happening that we can see in one simple glimpse. Yes, the temps at the poles are rising, but the temps in most of the rest of the planet are falling.

Twenty years ago marine biologists determined that the fluctuation of earths climates were due to an increase in the plankton population and the change of CO2 caused by the population explosion.

I'm just saying that scientists need to be more moderate and not jump to conclusions. Those that are moderate, like George Taylor get beat up because they simply state that this is Earth and the climate here is dynamic.

Seriously, if you want proclaim that we are doomed because of global warming, I'll have to put you in the category of religious nuts that believe everything in the bible and think they have evidence the earth is only 6,000 years old.

9:59 AM  
Blogger g said...

i just don't believe it is caused by man. i do believe global temperatures fluctuate due to forces that are beyond our control - biblical or otherwise.

the sheeple that buy into algore's bs cause me to shake my head.

i don't think much of fraternity's either. sigma-non.

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home