Tuesday, September 01, 2009

They Are Ripe, Finally


I know it’s late, but I think I have the latest developing blackberries on the planet. I remember always making my first batch of blackberry jam on the first day of summer, June 21st when I lived on the east coast.

I think it was two weeks ago when Auntie told me she was already sick of picking berries. Auntie lives only seven miles away from me and her berries were finished in mid August. My berries just became ripe enough to pick on the 25th. Every morning I go up on my hill and pick a gallon of them. I only pick the ones at eye level and I’m getting a gallon in about a half hour. If I were willing to spend the time and pick lower berries and plow into the bushes I could probably pick 30 gallons a day or more, but I only have so much freezer space. We go through only about four gallons of black berries a year, so I’ll be picking only two more gallons and call it good for the year.

I love picking blackberries. I don’t recall ever missing a harvest. I’m already considering where I should create new paths for more picking next year. I guess I should be grateful that my berries ripen this late. It's at this time of August all my projects are winding down and I need to concentrate on harvesting and putting up food for the winter. The end of the summer is in sight.

11 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

I looked out back and have another bumper crom that came on again. Yikes.!

5:54 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

When I was a kid we would go out to my Grandpas out in Boring and help him pick berries. I never cared much for it back then but I did it because I liked Grandpa. Of course back then I didn't care for anything that was too much like work. Now that I'm older and becoming a workaholic I could appreciate something like that. Even enjoy it.

6:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are three varieties of blackberries around here. The Trailing blackberries which are small and low, often found around clear cuts. These ripen earliest early July usually and are the ones prized for pie and jams. The other two types Himalayan and Evergreen are the ones that ripen now. They are best eaten fresh, they don't do so well in pies or preserves.

7:24 AM  
Blogger dalia said...

i love blackberries.

jam, please! :-)

9:07 AM  
Blogger Joni said...

We have acres and acres of them on our property in Svensen - and most are just now ripening. I love blackberries, but these bushes are so huge it's really hard to reach most of them!

Regardless, I will be spending a few hours this weekend workin' it!

10:56 AM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

Wish I could come and pick some. The two bushes in our yard were pretty sad. A hand full every couple of days for about two weeks. My parents had plenty of berry bushes in Germany. I used to pick them all the time. It's actually relaxing to me.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

They made it to a bucket? I just sit down and stuff my face....

3:23 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Auntie, those are probably the evergreens, which don't taste as well unless they are slightly over ripe.

Darev, now that you are a grand-pa?

Anon, I've never had trouble turning them into preserves. Maybe it all the sugar I add.

Dalia, If I make some I'll send you some, I promise.

Joni, that's why it's good to think ahead and put in some paths in the spring.

Tango, you are on the road so much you should know every berry patch in your state.

Amy, always in the moment, aren't you?

4:10 PM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

LOL...they kind of whoosh by as I go down the road at 60 miles an hours.

7:27 PM  
Blogger g said...

we've been picking for two weeks and aren't done yet! Viva Blackberries!

7:01 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I hope to pick more to make some jam.

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home