Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I Forgot


Just when you are ready to go and you start driving down the road the thought always flashes through your mind, “I wonder what I forgot this time.” True to form I had forgotten some things this year.

Long gone are the days when all I needed to remember was a carry-on and a boarding pass. If I forgot something I’d just buy it. Now we go camping with the horses and basically what you bring with you is everything that doesn’t have an electrical cord and everything from barn. When you forget something it is at least an hour drive to civilization to get what you need.

This year one meal was going to be canned chili, I forgot the can opener. Immediately after setting up camp I realized that the plastic coffee filter cone was still at home. I’m glad I remembered my knife. You can open a can with a knife. You can also get a paper cup and poke small holes in it and that makes a suitable container for coffee filters. Eventually a friend was able to share a filter holder with me.

It’s always good to help out others that forget things out there. There is a panic when you forget something that is similar to the panic when you were a kid and you got to school and realized you forgot your homework at home. It’s like the panic I feel when I realize I left my reading glasses at home. One person in camp forgot matches. Had she been the only one in camp she would have had to drive an hour back to town just to get some matches. A good community of campers means never having to go to town because someone always has extra stuff.

9 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

My problem wasn't that I forgot stuff. Mine was always that I brought too much stuff and I always had the heaviest pack in the camp. But when someone else forgot something, I almost always had a spare.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

So far, I have done pretty well on camping trips/picnics. I say 'I' because my husband says it is all on me to remember what to bring. "Did you bring a cutting board?!" "Yes..." "Did you bring a trash bag?" "Yes! YES! I brought everything, for the love of Pete!"

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Ginger said...

Welcome to MY WORLD! Yes, it is a jaunt to Town...imagine if you had to ride your horse or walk! When we "used to camp"...I use the term loosly because I consider us "camping" where we live now...I would pack the trailer w/ EVERYTHIG...now my kids just make fun of the size of my purse...saying it needs wheels :) Hope you had a great time...glad to hear there were no injuries.

3:37 PM  
Anonymous Auntie said...

sometimes the forgetting of things leads to some pretty fun memories, especially having to "wing it" with home made contraptions while camping....

4:37 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, that a different obsession.

Amy, that's a skill, but most with that skill are bad at forgetting things as well.

Ginger, I wish you could have joined us. Our mutual friend brought a filter container for me which made the coffee much better. She is such a dear. We got in a lot of camp fire time together. We hope to go up one more time before the summer is over.

An Auntie contraption? These I'd like to see.

6:12 AM  
Anonymous dalia said...

dyslexics untie! i read that sign as:

"things r rotten"

:-D

9:30 AM  
Blogger Guy said...

Dalia, dang, you are in the wrong profession. But you already knew that.

10:15 AM  
Blogger a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

i always forget the hotel room when i go camping. and then end up sleeping on the forest floor. shit.

3:57 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Irish, I hope you at least have a tent over you.

5:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home