Monday, September 07, 2009

Super Max


If you’ve been following along you probably remember back in July when a weasel got into my chicken coop and killed all my chickens. I was ready to give up, but somehow I couldn’t . I realized that my fence around the chicken yard was no challenge for animals with climbing abilities. I ordered new chicks and began working on Super Max.

The first thing I did was to cover all vent holes in ½ inch hardware cloth and close the gap under the door. Then I removed all the chicken wire in their run and the deer netting that covered the run. The deer netting was there to prevent them from flying out or hawks from flying in.

Next I dug a two foot deep trench around the parameter and I buried sheets of corrugated metal roofing and back filled with rocks and bricks and broken flower pots. Above ground I framed a fence that is seven feet high and I also framed a roof. I ran ½ inch hardware cloth over every vertical surface and corrugated metal roofing over the top. The good thing about the roof is now the chicken yard won’t be a muddy stinky mess all winter. Now all I have to do is paint the coop.


I now feel confident our chickens will never have a night of horror like my last flock. They only have to watch out for local dogs when the free range during the day.

18 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Safe, cozy and stink-free – fortunate chickens. Talented you.

5:25 AM  
Blogger weese said...

i am happy for your chicks.

5:30 AM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

Awesome job, Guy :)

6:27 AM  
Blogger a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

keeeeeeeeeeeee-rist!
that is one swanky house! are you taking reservations? :)

6:48 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

You just need to install motion activated searchlights on the corners and get someone to drive around and around with a shotgun. Oh.. and make sure you search all visitors for weapons and drugs before they enter the coop.

8:01 AM  
Blogger Patrick McGee said...

Nice coop!

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Pam said...

reminds me of Ruby Ridge. Where is the turret?

8:42 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

THAT....is some nice digs!

ROFL @ Rev.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Auntie said...

why didn't you go with the electric fence - that netting stuff that keeps the varmints out.?

3:51 PM  
Blogger g said...

nice looking coop guy!

5:55 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth mud free and stink free are really good things with any livestock.

Weese, It's win-win all the way around for all.

Tango, Thanks Darlin.

Darev, are you applying for a job here?

Patrick, Thanks, I wanted a coop that I could stand up in and have a separate area to store feed and straw. The window seems to help in egg production.

Pam, It does have that compound look.

Amy, The cool thing is that if I ever want to switch to goats the coop and the pen could house three or four of them, or turkeys...

Auntie, electric fences are very problematic.

g, Thanks, wait until you see the manure shed I'm working on right now.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Jaggy said...

what about the alligator-filled moat or special forces standing guard? these chicken are important! :)

9:41 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Jaggy, I considered it.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Nubians?! I love those floppy ears!

10:29 AM  
Blogger g said...

it makes my wood shed seam so plain.

7:19 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Amy, I prefer Oberhasli, they look like deer. Nubians are too noisy for me.

g, It's not like you have to guard your wood from predators. The manure shed I'm building is designed like a smaller version of your wood shed.

8:23 PM  
Blogger dalia said...

seems like a lot of work for some eggs! i hope they make it! :-)

9:40 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

They will make it, but I doubt my egg sales will ever repay the expense.

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home