Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I'm Not That Sorry


It’s interesting when you analyze the three types of apologies that people share. Some people just apologize for everything and their words and emotions are insincere and little more than a knee-jerk reaction to everything they think they have some control over.

Next there is the submissive apology where someone simply says “Uncle.” That too has little to do with any sorrow or contrition, but more to do with submission and wanting to move on.

Then there is the heart felt sincere, heart-felt apology. This is the rarest. Harry Scherer has a segment on his weekly radio show called Apology of the Week, where he reads all the apologies that were made by notable people over the previous week. I doubt that many of the ones on his show are sincere, but rather an attempt to save face and limit the damage to their future income. As shallow as they may be they are demanded and people seem to accept them with conditionally, but the transgressions are never forgotten or fully forgiven.

I have become much better about limiting my exposure and setting myself up to apologize. If I ever do offer an apology it comes from sincere concern and remorse. When I say I’m sorry it comes from a true sorrow.

6 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

My favorite apology is in the flick "Wanted" with Angelina Jolie and James McAvoy. He kept apologizing for everything, even after he found out he was supposed to be an assassin. When he flipped his car up over the other guys and said "I'm sorry" right before he shot him was priceless. Whoever wrote that one had a great sense of irony.

veri word: derdotor- the patron saint of a weird little village in Bolivia

7:53 AM  
Blogger qandlequeen said...

I cannot even begin to express how appropriate this post is for something going on in my life. A BIG apology is owed. I'm merely on the sidelines watching this fiasco unfold. Hopefully he'll find the kahunas to offer up AN apology, moreso an appropriate, heartfelt one. Time will tell.

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Ann Samuelson said...

I think forgiveness is the key whether you get an "I'm sorry" or not....great way to lighten your load, important to decide if you created the issue or someone else or others did, figure out where you end and others begin...then move on to forgiveness...

10:30 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, "Sorry" I haven't seen that one.

Q, I am owed some myself, but I'm not holding my breath.

Ann, though they are interrelated, one should never assume that they will be rewarded with forgiveness. It's much easier to find forgiveness one on one that with the masses.

5:19 AM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

You know, if some politician, caught once again with schtupping someone else other than his wife, it would be so refreshing if he just said, "Yep. You got me."

2:19 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Mo3 and continue by stating they will be available after their wife gets everything in the pending divorce.

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home