Sunday, February 21, 2010

Multi-Purpose


One thing I have always found delight in is when things are invented with two purposes in mind. I recall how I thought it was a great idea when I saw a Castro Convertible commercial when I was a kid. Here was a couch that converted to a bed.

I remember how cool it was when a guy in my home town had an amphibious car. I never saw him drive it into the water, but the potential struck me as being very cool.

I remember getting my first reversible coat. It was blue on one side and red on the other and I did reverse it every once in a while, though I liked the blue side better. I also remember getting a reversible belt. It was brown on one side and black on the other.

I know that inventers keep trying to come up with multi-function devices, but most just don’t cut it. I can’t imaging ever buying a spork which is a spoon/fork combo. I have no need for a pen that has a built-in flashlight. Swiss Army Knives can be somewhat good, but I probably wouldn’t use more two or three attachments.

My mother had a Mix Master that had a meat grinder attachment and a juicer attachment. We never used the grinder, but I do remember her juicing oranges for me when I was a kid.

My passion for dual purpose tools runs deep. I love those screw drivers with interchangeable bits. I have an Estwing hatchet with a hammer head on the back side. Everyone knows that I covet the best ever multi function tool, a back hoe.

The only really cool multi function tool I can think of that has come down the pike in recent memory is the hand held phone with apps where you can call people, email them and browse the internet. They can also play movies, music and act as a GPS unit. That’s almost as cool as a back hoe.

5 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

I once had one of those Leatherman tools that Gerber makes. Pliers, wire cutter, knife, three different screwdrivers and a couple of other odd little doodads. One of the handiest things I ever had. On the other hand, my cell phone can do all sorts of things that I don't know how to use. I mostly use it as a clock.

5:23 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

why dont you get yourself one of those phones?

7:36 AM  
Blogger Shelly Rayedeane said...

I miss the gerber tool I used to have. Those things are kewl. Capitol K. Every time I buy one of the damn things, they go missing.

My Swiss army knife and my gortex snow gear, my brother bought me, saved my bum tonight. I had to chain up in snow at work.

I have a blackberry and prefer it over the iphone. I've got a tom tom on it and I even run with it and it tracks the slope and how many calories I burn.

Neeto torpedo stuff.

My only regret is I can't be a kid in these techy times. I go into toys r us and get lost in the isles looking at all the kiddie toys which are so different from things I had growing up.

1:20 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, the leatherman sounds good, but they seem too heavy and bulky to put in your pocket and people that have them on a belt clip kind of look dorkey, but it is a cool tool.

Auntie, I'd love to get a Droid. It's like an iphone, but better and the apps are open source and free.

Shelly, you are still chaining up? You are going to hate my Monday post.

5:21 AM  
Blogger Shelly Rayedeane said...

Nah. No hate. Lol. It has been raining a lot in California lately though.

I've only been chaining up when driving over the Sierra Nevada's.

It doesn't bother me to chain up or to drive in it.

What bothers me is all the other people on the road who don't know how to drive in it and who don't have a clue.

I think there should be a dmv law passed that forces people to take a winter driving course in their cars before they are allowed to go up in the mountains and play in it.

Some people need to either learn to drive or do all of us outdoor types a favor and just stay inside. Lol.

I passed 7 car wrecks the other day.

Seven!

I can never seem to comprehend why people drive so fast when it is 18 degrees outside and snowing.

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home