Friday, March 05, 2010

The Concept of a Soul


I wonder who was the first to dream up the concept of the soul. I know that just about everything we have ever heard about Hell was made up by Dante so the soul must have come from some writer as well.

When I was growing up we were told that our souls were clear, but as we sinned our souls would become stained. There was the proverbial “black mark” on ones soul. Minor sins would be a blemish on the soul, but a major sin would be a black mark or a stain.

I always pictured a soul to look like a pair of lungs probably because of the internal movement as opposed to the occasional awareness one has of their heart. I mean you shouldn’t be aware of your liver or other internal organs, but the lungs feel alive like there is something inside you moving around like another entity; nearly foreign and living on its own. When people die their lungs stop moving and their soul leaves their body with the last exhalation.

I suppose some people see their soul as an exact see-through version of themselves that takes up the same space, but it makes me wonder why a soul would need a mouth or an anus. Souls shouldn’t have to eat. I mean it would be a sad joke if our eternal counterparts would be on the eternal journey of finding the best pizza in the universe. Worse yet if your soul ever found the best pizza, what would you do with the rest of eternity? Furthermore, where does a soul defecate?

This whole soul thing sounds hokey to me.

6 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

today I did something I've never done with your post. I imagined as if Jean Shepard were reading it to me.

Brilliant.

6:10 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Well, if they didn't eat, all of those "Soul Food" places would go out of business and if they didn't poop we would quickly run out of packing peanuts, I suppose.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I want to know who came up with Soul Mate. So I can pop them between the eyes.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

Sorry to get all serious, but this is me: I am a spirit; I have a soul; I live in a body. I heard that somewhere, or read it. And that is what I believe.
I won't be arguing about it, though. I hate dissension.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Shelly Rayedeane said...

There is a soul. It just doesn't work the way people think it does. It exists in the ether and when a person dies, the energy which surrounds them (life force) gets tranferred elsewhere.

Where does this energy go? It is my hypothesis some gets left behind in the places this entity was familiar with and the rest goes towards this person's true soulmate or those genetically linked to the soulmate.

In Hebrew, the word "spirit" also means "wind" leading to the confusion of the word "soul".

Adam means "from the ground".
Eve means "to give life".
Cain means "to spear"
and Abel means "breathe" or "vapor"

Follow the etymology of the words and what is hidden will be revealed.
Coincidentally, the word "revelations" means "lifting the veil".

But even better yet is how Adam, Eve, and
Cain and
abel's names link to the four elements as well as to the path of the illuminati.

And if I say anymore, my cell phone and computers will probably get hacked again.

So I think I will just shut up now.

Word verification= amen to us

1:11 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Auntie, so you're sick of my voice and you are fantasizing of others, eh?

Darev,If that means they are eating plastic I guess that's a good thing.

Syd, Soul patch always bugs me...

Donna, I don't want to argue with you. If that's why you writing interests me so much that your spirit is a wonderful thing.

Shelly, though I am very interested in entomology and have had many illuminations with the all of the books by Stewart Berg Flexner I've found it best not to put too much stock in words with ever changing meanings. I liken language to a cute puppy that grows into a dog. It's original message is in there, but it often has little resemblance to the previous intent.

5:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home