Thursday, March 04, 2010

For The Head


This is the time of year when I begin the lecture tour circuit. I’m glad that I will be doing fewer events this year that require over-night stays. I came to this conclusion while in a hotel for two days last weekend. It was a good hotel with all the bla-bla that comes with a good hotel, but one thing that never lives up to my expectations and that is the hotel pillows.

I know I could bring my own pillows, but I just feel douchy doing that and it’s just more stuff to bring. My personal preference is a firm pillow. I’d even be happy with a sack of flax seed. At home I use Tempurpedic memory foam pillows. They are the best. They are expensive but worth it.

Hotel pillows are too soft, where if one puts their head upon it your head sinks to the bottom and these two pillow wings go up the side and wrap around your head like some strange ear muff. It’s like sleeping on an underinflated balloon.

It seems that it’s hard to find a good pillow these days since it is rare to find a down pillow. It is said that too many people with allergies had problems with the down, but I grew up with down pillows and I miss them.

For now I’m glad that I will be returning home from my day lectures. There’s no place like home.

9 Comments:

Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

LOL...I thought you were about to talk about bathrooms.

I love to stay in motels, except for the comforters on the beds. Never have any idea when it was washed last.

4:55 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

The pillows provided by hotels remind me of Goldilocks and the Three Bears – with a bit of a twist. “This one is too hard, this one is too soft – none of them are just right!"

4:56 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

I have pillow "issues" too. One thing I am super picky about.

5:59 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

For me, it's not the pillows, but the mattresses. I've slept (or not slept) on motel mattresses that felt like a fabric covered cardboard box. Next time I decide to travel I am buying an RV and setting it up the way I want it.

7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I traveled I'd get one of those silk sleep sacks so I didn't have to sleep in what's probably a dirty bed. I just know to many people in the hotel industry and have listened to to many of their stories.

columbiacritter

8:19 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Tango, head is a Navy term and I was never in the service. The Viet Nam War ended just before I turned 18.

Beth, You'd think they'd offer a choice...

Auntie, and I can tell immediately if my wife switched a pillow on me.

Darev, or you could stay in a better place...Though I have yet to find a hotel with a Temprupedic.

Critter, I was surprised to see the cleaning staff that were cleaning rooms wore gloves and masks. Good idea.

5:13 AM  
Anonymous Joni said...

I generally have a really tough time in hotels as well, but recently had an outstanding experience.

The La Quinta downtown in Seattle has the absolute MOST comfortable beds and pillows I have ever encountered!

So Guy, if you have any speaking engagements in Seattle, give the La Quinta downtown a try!

10:35 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I wonder if it is just Seattle or if all of them are good?

5:52 AM  
Anonymous Joni said...

We stayed at one in Portland once when we went for a Blazers game and although I don't recall that trip as vividly, I don't remember complaining either!

I might just have to make a point to stay at LaQuinta whenever I travel, so I can see if it's companywide or just individual - I'll keep you posted LOL

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home