Monday, February 22, 2010

February Spring in Oregon


Sorry to rub it in the faces of those living elsewhere, but this week has been beautiful here on the Oregon Coast. Sunny and warm with temps near 60. The flowering trees are flowering. The roadsides are dotted with daffodils and crocus.

I pruned my one remaining fruit tree, built two new raised bed boxes, tilled and put in the new raspberry bed and strawberry bed and fenced them from the deer and chickens. I put compost down in the blue berry patch.

Last year we got a late start on the garden, but this year I’m ready for it. Today I’ll be adding compost and soil to all the other beds. That’s one thing about having horses and chickens; one never runs out of compost. I’m compiling compost for next year. It looks to be a good compost crop since it is once again covered in the manure shed, which you may recall I named the manure shed, The Daily Astorian.”

The cool thing is that I was driving somewhere yesterday and out in the middle of nowhere and there was a blue Daily A delivery box in the middle of the road. I pulled over and picked it up. Soon it will become part of the manure shed.

6 Comments:

Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

Warmth, sun.....sigh :(

5:12 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

I saw 2 bees yesterday afternoon in our yard. They looked sleepy in the sun.

5:29 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

No flowers as yet but springlike weather here yesterday - I'm loving it!

6:46 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Pfui. Still getting rain and patchy snow off and on. Need to win the lottery so I can get back to the land of sanity.

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I applaud your resourcefulness and considering the content of the Daily Astorian of late, a manure shed component may be the highest and best possible use for a DA delivery box.

5:09 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Tango, You know how it is back there. You better have your air conditioner ready for next week.

Auntie, Aaawwwww!

Beth, can black flies be far behind?

Darev, or a law suit.

Anon, as of late sounds so recent, but I guess fifteen years in the scope of how long the paper has been in operation is recent.

5:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home