Sunday, April 04, 2010

Frog Eyes


I’ll use yesterdays post as a springboard to today’s post. It was the sounds of the frogs that bring all sorts of memories to mind.

I recall fishing after dark one evening. My brother and I were in the boat heading toward our home dock. We cut the engine and drifted the last 100 feet because our dock was in a very shallow area of the lake. As we got closer we shone a beam of light from our diving light to locate the dock, but as we got closer we could hear a symphony of frogs. I cast the beam on the sandy shore and we were surprised to see every inch of the shore occupied by frogs right at the waters edge and they were all singing.

We took up the oars for a diversionary stroll up the quarter mile sandy shore line. The entire length of that shore that was sandy had singing frogs. Their eyes reflected the light of our beam. It was strange casting a beam of light down the shore and seeing tens of thousands frog eyes reflecting back at you.

If I were to compile a list of the top 100 things I have seen with my own eyes; this sight would easily be in the top ten.

8 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

Where we lived in Branson a few years ago there was a little pond out behind our place. I'm not sure how many frogs lived in there but from the sound of it, they must have numbered in the billions. I got so used to the cacophony that I would just tune it out, mostly. But when a predator came near or the weather suddenly changed they would all suddenly stop. And the silence was so startling it would almost knock me down. I'd have to run outside to ensure there wasn't a pack of marauding bears or a tornado bearing down on us. It was a good early warning system, but the little suckers tended to be alarmists.

And I'm kind of glad I couldn't see their eyes. That many critters staring at my bedroom window would have been a little off-putting.

6:42 AM  
Blogger Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

I never thought about frog eyes reflecting...like Carl Sagan said...billions and billions

11:46 AM  
Blogger weese said...

hmm...the peepers are in full swing here. maybe i will run out to the pond tonight with a flashlight - see what i see.

1:07 PM  
Blogger qandlequeen said...

Last night we visited friends whose house backs up to a creek - the riot of frogs filling the air! I never noticed how early in the year they start. Of course I don't live near water so maybe that explains it.

5:25 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I'm always pleased to hear frogs. There are places where they no longer exist. They are real tweaky about their environment. Also, I'm not sure if they all have reflective eyes, but this variety at the lake that night did.

5:27 AM  
Blogger dalia said...

used to be my nickname when i was little...

4:48 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

And you showed em by becoming modelesque.

5:31 AM  
Blogger dalia said...

I heart you. Seriously!

(See? Caps. Must be true!) ;-)

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home