Thursday, April 15, 2010

Hey Bud!


I guess I am a sound snob. I’ve had times where my wife offers me her car when I have to run to town, but I nearly always refuse because I have a better sound system in my truck.

A few months ago I got a Phillips MP3 player. It came with these ear buds that are uncomfortable, but the sound was so good I could withstand the discomfort. Recently the left ear bud went out. It just stopped working. I have a few other sets of ear buds so I tried them. One set was a noise canceling set, and the sound that came from them was too deep in the bass range. Another pair had no base at all, so I went to an electronics shop today and purchased another pair of Skullcandy buds for around $20. This pair was OK, but it didn’t have the range of the Philips buds. There were others there that ranged up to around $100.

I got my Phillips 8 gig MP3 player from Steals and Deals for something like $20. If it ever comes up for sale again I’m going to order it and just use the player as a thumb drive and use the ear buds for everything else.

I’ve gotten so used to good sound that I can no longer settle for anything of lesser quality. So much of the music is lost with poor sound translation. Does anyone out there have any ear bud purchasing advice?

12 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

No advice but we’ve got plenty of half-assed ear buds in the junk drawer.
Nobody throws them out! You know, just in case you want to listen with only one working ear bud…

6:31 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

They are pricey, but I've owned 3 pair of Shure earbuds and I won't use anything else.

6:56 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Yow!!!! $400.00 for ear buds! Criminy! I'm kind of glad that my ears aren't that discerning anymore. Too many concerts where I stood in front of the speakers, I guess. I can safely stick with my little Sansa mp3 player and my cheapie ear buds. Elvis Costello needs a little distortion anyway.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

Ear buds don't stay in my ears.

8:24 AM  
Blogger weese said...

I wear buds sometimes at work...but I much prefer my over the ear headphones. I sprung for bose and am very pleased.
Fidelity is rather important to me. I have never understood why anyone would listen to music so loud as to distort it. Makes no sense.

11:59 AM  
Blogger g said...

Klipsch S4. Not too basey and not to trebely.

Will set you back about $80.

Have seen them on sale for $49.

I would stay away from the cheap noise canceling buds. You get what you pay for.

6:25 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, I threw two pair out this week... after my failed attempt to cannibalize one pair to repair the other pair.

Syd, Pricey? Holy shit! Bet they are the best though.

Darev, if you ever hear a good set you'll never go back.

Donna, they now make some that clip around the back of your ear.

I prefer head phones as well, but there is a mobility issue with them. You can get wireless headphones, but they too are problematic.

g, I agree, the noise canceling buds aren't good at all.

Update, I found what I think is the exact Philips buds on ebay and I ordered them.

5:34 AM  
Blogger Trop said...

Syd, do you really drop $100+ for ear buds? I'm pretty picky about sound quality too, but I don't buy expensive ear buds because I'm much too hard on them. I had some awesome Bose over-the-ear headphones but a friend's dog chewed them up. I found better-than-expected ear buds at Sheetz convenience stores for $6.99 a pair.

1:56 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Update, I found the Philips ear buds on ebay for $7 and they are perfect.

6:38 AM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

Try some of the Skull Candy ones at Freddy's.

6:54 PM  
Blogger Guy said...

Mo3, I got a pair of skull candy and they suck compared to the Philips set that I got for a third of the price.

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Joseph S. said...

The Zune Premium headphones are absolutely marvelous. Great quality, been using the same pair for over a year, and the sound is even better. I'd say you definitely give them a try.

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home