Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Wake Up Call


In the past I’ve been woken up in the middle of the night by wind, rain, lightening, hail, emergency vehicle sirens, the flashing lights of Pacific Power trucks, the sounds of chainsaws, Coyotes, gun fire, cats, dogs, scratching sounds in the wall, the sound of running water, The sound of my mail box being vandalized, the smell of something burning, wrong numbers, and the sounds of horse hoofs in the road once when my horse escaped.

I was awoken by something new last Saturday night at 12:35am. It was something I’d never experienced before. It was the faint sound of someone shouting in the distance. I thought maybe one of the neighbors were having a spat, bit the sound started getting louder and closer. I was able to hear what the man was shouting. “You Motha F***ers! Get back here. What the f*** do you think you’re doing? You Motha F***ers!”

I live on a dark country road. I could see no cars parked anywhere waiting for or egging this shouter on. He just kept walking North, shouting at the top of his lungs. All I can figure was he was drunk and obnoxious. He probably had the driver stop the car so he could get out and take a leak and then they drove off without him.

I fell back asleep within 10 minutes.

7 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

I have begun to really dread this time of year. When it's warm enough to leave all the windows open but not so hot we have to run the a/c. My dog, who is a heavy napper but a light sleeper, will start up and bark about any little noise. And the big noises, like gunshots or sirens, will awaken me without her help. Spring is a fitful time.

7:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that happens everytime the District Attorney's office goes on their annual looper...Marquis falls for it every time...Even after he makes them promise not to ditch him

8:25 AM  
Blogger dalia said...

i can sleep through anything...except for my parents' dog licking my face.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

If you had MY neighbors, you'd hear conversations like that often; you might even see the cops come to quiet them down every few years.

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL!! My husband has developed this filter for almost every noise that isn't set in his mind as a bad thing. He knows I'm an incredibly light sleeper and his brain has decided I'm it's warning system so it doesn't have to respond to odd sounds. When we lived in town he slept through the cops taking down a bunch of guys in a stolen car less then 30 ft from our open bedroom window. About the only sound that brings him instantly awake is the cat yarfing on his side of the bed.

Columbiacriiter

9:15 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, you are looking forward to turning on your air conditioner...that's sick.

Anon, though the comedy show in my mind can see that, it didn't sound like him. This was a young voice. Someone my age couldn't shout that loudly or that long.

Dalia, you need to close your bedroom door when you visit them.

Donna, I have my own neighbors, thanks I don't need any more. Their screaming kids and motorcycles is more noise than I can handle at times.

Critter, I feel for him. We had a cat that would do that years ago. It was a wonder she ever digested anything.

5:29 AM  
Blogger dalia said...

my comments have been deleted due to an unfortunate spamming incident. sad. :-(

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home