Saturday, April 17, 2010

Kaki King


As most of you know I change music like most people change their socks. I will get fascinated with a sound for a short while and then my attention span goes elsewhere. Fortunately there is enough interesting stuff mixed in with all the mundane popular crap.

I just finished listen to hundreds of hours of Jean Shepherd radio shows from the 60s. After that I came out hungry for some music. I spent a brief period going back through the Black Eyed Peas, Eminem, Nellie McKay and Owen Pallet, but I was really looking for some “afters” to quench my musical diet.

Fortunately I came across Kaki King, a 30 year old instrumentalist who does sing from time to time. This woman is an amazing guitarist who is able to do Indi-rock and Jazz fusion. If you recall how interesting Windam Hill’s Alex DiGrassi was when he first hit the scene with his odd tunings and crystal clear finger picking style, I think Kaki can easily best him because her style varies so much from piece to piece.

You can her virtuoso guitar style with this video.
Video 1

Or you can see her looping tracks on a pedal steel in a way similar to Owen Pallet in this video.Video 2

And while you’re at it check this one out.
Video 3

Yeah, I think I’m in love…

3 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

That was cool and odd and a bit arousing at points. An avant-garde Leo Kottke with a full measure of attitude and two measures of hotness. Another one of those that makes me wish I could play something.

6:57 AM  
Blogger Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

Makes me miss Michael Hedges, too...

9:03 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, she has a funny interview where she talks about how bad she is at playing Guitar Hero.

Teri, Windham Hill sure could find talented musicians, couldn't they?

6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home