Friday, April 30, 2010

Open House at the Fair


Upon the urging of everyone, I attended the Open House at the Fair Grounds on Wednesday. This was the first open house in memory and though it was publicized the optimistic 168 chairs that were set out only 15 seats were filled, five of which were filled by Board members. That’s right, ten people came, of which three were children. No one was there from the media. No one was there from County Government. It would have been nice to see a commissioner or a candidate present.

What the open house was all about was support. Gary did a slide presentation of what the money from the tax levy was used for and I was impressed with the tide gate installation which will one day dry out the lower field so it can be used more than two months a year. He made improvements to buildings, built a new arena and also got modular removable flooring for the big arena. This is good because years ago there was mention of putting down a permanent hard surface in the big arena which would not have been good at all.

Gary wanted everyone to spread the word about extending the tax levy, Ballot Measure 4-148 . This time around they are asking for less money. Last time it cost the tax payers $9 per 100k in assessed value. This time is will cost only $7 per 100k in assessed value. They are working toward self sufficiency buy attracting more events as they add infrastructure. They plan on adding some meeting rooms for smaller events. Basically they covered all my concerns except the rental price, but that looks like it is par to the industry standards.

I was generally pleased with what I saw on Wednesday. My only displeasure was that it was so poorly attended. Also, they are appealing for volunteers to help with the up-coming rodeo in May. If you have some time to spare on Friday or Saturday, May 21 and/ or 22 let me know and I’ll hook you up with who to contact.

4 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

I could send them some clowns. I knows buttloads of those.

6:50 AM  
Blogger g said...

Thanks for the update.

This is what really soured me and is prevelent in our County. Lots of people who love to complain and no one who wants to take the time to understand what they are complaining about. So essentially these complainers rely on the local media to interpret.

The apathy toward local government in our County is sad.

It is commendable that you have taken the time to understand the issues that concern you. This is the same thing that drove me to run for election way back when. I got tired of complaining and took matters into my own hands lol

7:36 PM  
Anonymous Joni said...

Guy your comment about it being poorly attended moved me.

I've been involved in Kiwanis, Regatta, and the Chamber Ambassadors for the last several years.

What strikes me most, is that most of our local organizations are run by a very few people, trying so very hard to make a difference.


Something else that REALLY strikes me, is that those people that rally for anti-lng and anti-Walmart, are NOT involved, IN THE LEAST in any of our local orgs.

That is really sad. If they put half the effort into our local organizations that they do into keeping new industries out, WOW, what could be accomplished

10:09 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, then you'd be out of work.

g there is no end to volunteer opportunities here.

Joni, Very true. I can't recall the last time I've had a totally free weekend. Many hands makes light work.

6:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home