Saturday, April 24, 2010

Meat in a Can


I have a friend that was famous for her canned meat collection. Every time she traveled to another country she would go to the market to see what she could find to add to her collection.

We don’t think twice about tuna or salmon. We don’t think twice about pork and beans or even Spam in a can. I’ve seen canned chicken, though I’ve never known anyone who bought some.

I think most Americans would cringe at the sight of a can of whale meat or alligator in a can. How about yak or goat?

As it turns out my friend disposed of her collection a while back. She was afraid the cans were becoming toxic. She didn’t want to come home to an exploded can of seal meat. It would have been interesting to document her collection before its disposal.

5 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

A good yak smells horrific. I imagine a spoiled yak would make anybody yak.

We once bought some bacon in a can. It was horrible.

6:51 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I like to think of myself as adventurous as the next person, but seal meat in a can?

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It would have been cool to take the labels off and put them in a book or frame them or something. But the thought of what was inside? Yuk.

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm always amazed at what I see canned. Not just meat, but canned potatoes, grapes, bread?

My mom bought the canned chicken, it tasted like weak tuna. She also used to by those pressed meat canned hams with the weird jello. Still makes my throat close up thinking about watching her shake those out of the cans.

columbia critter

8:02 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, I figured it would taste like beef.

Amy,Native Alaskans love seal meat. which reminds me of a funny story for a future post.

Anon, it's not too late to start your own collection.

Critter, that jellied meat is disgusting. It was nice spending some time with you yesterday. Thanks for the lunch company.

6:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home