Monday, April 19, 2010

Unprepared


It’s after Mid April and you’d think I be prepared, but I wasn’t. I was driving into town this morning and I could see it there in a tree hanging down like a dark stocking loaded with plums. It was a swarm of honey bees.

You probably are a person that has the ability to see things that others don’t because you are tuned into something so well because of association. I notice horses, chickens and honeybees. I noticed this swarm from 300 feet away. It hung low branch of a fruit tree. Had I been prepared I could have walked up to it and placed the five-pound cluster into a box and I would have a new colony of honey bees. I wasn’t prepared but I hoped for the best.

I went to town on my errand and later I went back home to get some swarm gear, but when I returned to the house where the bees were I found they had already been taken by another swarm hunter that can spot bees from 300 feet away or they had flown to a new location.

Honey bees are valuable not only because of all the things they do for agriculture and mankind and the honey and wax they produce, but they are valuable because these days a good five pound colony sells for around $85. Last year I collected four or five swarms. Every year I hope for more.

So from now until Mid-July I will be prepared with a bee box and a spray bottle of sugar water in the back of my truck for any other swarms I may come upon.

6 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Lesson learned.
You will now be a good Boy Scout and adhere to the motto: Be Prepared.

5:35 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

There should be a listing under 911 for "emergency beekeepers" for when people find swarms in unexpected places. I'd just hide in the house until they went away. You know, you might want to talk to a local dispatcher and give them your name and number.

6:17 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I wish you'd been near my house last week, we had a swarm in our yard in a tree for a couple of days. My husband called everyone he could find to come get them, and the cheapest quote we got was $150 for a beekeeper to come get them. We just kept the kids out of the yard for a few days and they eventually moved on.

7:56 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, maybe I can learn to tie knots as well.

Darev,Most people call the Extension Agent. Funny because I'd never think to them. Lots of people call pest control as well.

OHCH, Around here no one charges. I can see charging for a complicated one such as a swarm on high tension wires, or inside a chimney or something really high up. Another thing to do is see what farms are employing bees and if you have a swarm call the farm and tell to come and get their damn bees.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

So, how are YOUR bees doing?

8:11 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Not well, lost 11 of 12 colonies last winter, but I'm getting new colonies on Saturday.

5:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home