Thursday, May 13, 2010

Broody No More


I finally ended it. That broody hen that’s been sitting on eggs for the last two weeks has been removed from the nest box. Every day I’d find three or four eggs on the floor under her nest box that she kicked out of the nest. I destroyed those eggs because there was no way of finding how long she’d been sitting on them. Upon breaking they appeared to be normal with no chicks in them. Then I took a few eggs from the clutch of eggs that were under her to see if there was any embryo development; there was none, so I removed the rest of the eggs and found the same. So every day she gets rousted from her nest and the eggs are collected.

If I ever want to raise my own chicks I’ll borrow my friend’s incubator and leave the hens out of it. It seems as though the hens have lost the ability to do it correctly.

4 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

Wouldn't that be the roosters fault? Maybe he has a defective p*cker.

5:12 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

No, it is she that is kicking them out of the nest before they develop. I guess she likes fresh eggs under her. Blue had a great hatch rate in the incubator.

5:20 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

My mom would put a broody hen under an upside-down bushel basket for a day or two. They quickly stopped being broody... something about being in the dark, my mom thought. I've used the method many times successfully.

5:42 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, Thanks, I'll let you know how it works.

5:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home