Thursday, May 06, 2010

The Gifted


It is a treasure to come upon someone who is gifted. One area where I am ungifted is in the realm of mechanical issues. I am expert at finding problems with my truck. I can detect when something just doesn’t look, feel or sound right, but that is the limit.

I’ve had a new problem come up with the truck. When the engine is cold I’ll turn the key and the starter will make a minor effort, maybe a half turn and then there is silence. Next I turn the key again and it starts right up on the second try. It starts the first time with a warm engine. I figured the starter is going.

Lately my step son has been visiting on Sundays. His mother told me I should have him look at it. This kid is a gifted mechanic. He learned his trade while working at some garage in Idaho. They loved him because he has thin hands and can reach mechanical objects that most thick fingered mechanics couldn’t even attempt. He’s helped me out on several occasions with things I couldn’t reach.

Anyway, he came over on Saturday and I explained the symptoms I was having with the starter. Without and questions he said, “Your ground wire from the battery is loose.” I thought, ”WTF?”

I took him out, he popped the hood and easily lifted the connector from the battery ground terminal. I tightened it down and the problem was solved.

Any shop could have easily convinced me that I needed to replace my starter. It’s nice having a gifted mechanic in the family.

5 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

I know a great mechanic like that. Unfortunately, he now lives 150 miles away. Backyard country mechanic from Tennessee. Sounds like an extra from "Hee Haw", but a whiz with engines. I miss having him around.

6:22 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

My hub's the same way. I describe a noise and he tells me what it is without going out to look. He says it's bcause he likes to troubleshoot, but I think it's because he doesn't want to get taken at the mechanics.
(Me: "For being Hispanic, you sure are kinda Scotch..." Him: "What?"
Me: "Nevermind.")

10:16 AM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

I wish I had that talent. :( My guess is usually way off too.

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's see, $485 for new brakes and a leaking fuel injector 3 wks ago. Monday, $1,385 for a new clutch and fly wheel, all on the subaru. Now today, the clutch has started slipping in the truck. $1,100 estimate for that one.

Banging head against the wall.

8:40 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, There are some amazing practitioners out there.

Amy, The Scots got hung with that reputation, but I think it is pretty common among most Northern Europeans.
It's funny that J didn't get it.

Tango, I know your toaster tested you some during the last year. You did guess the air compressor.

Critter, oddly every car or truck I've had with a clutch has been problematic.

5:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home