Wednesday, May 05, 2010

You're a Card. You're the Whole Deck and You Should Be Dealt With.


I finally did it. I ordered business cards. I really have to get serious about business. I’m becoming too much like local contractors. No, I’m not that bad… Not that my business is like contracting. It’s much more casual and word-of-mouth as business should be.

This is not to say I have ever been a no show for a class or speak engagement; paid or gratis. I am very serious about being where I’m supposed to be and give it my 100%. It’s my products that I’m lax on, which is funny because I run the egg business really well. I collect the eggs daily, clean and dry them comparable to industry standards. I package them and get them to customers usually within a day of the order.

It’s the honey and hive products that I’m lax on. I tell people all year that the new honey crop will be in around August, but by the time I get around to extracting, bottling and labeling it we are getting into October.

Then there are the creams and balms. I usually make batches in advance and though people order it, it takes me on average of three weeks to do the labeling. Jars and tubes are all ready to go except the labels. Labeling takes me only a few minutes. I have them all printed, but somehow I always put it off applying the labels to the jars and tubes.

I’ve never been big on business cards simply because I don’t collect them and I assume others are like me and pitch them as soon as they get home and empty their pockets. However, so often I am asked for one. Sometimes I scroll my number or email address on scrap paper for someone, but business cards are so much cleaner. I’m sure they will bring more contacts my way, whom I hope not to disappoint. I just hope the cards don’t attract people to call and chit-chat with me. I hate phone chit-chat.

5 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

"What's that? You got a bee infestation? Okay, lemme check my calendar. I can come by next tuesday between eight am and five pm, okay? Just stay inside until then. They won't bother you."

Hee hee hee!

5:59 AM  
Blogger mark said...

Almost every time I order new business cards, something changes. Most recently, I got a new email address after ordering a fresh stack of cards with the (now) old address. Another time I got a promotion. Once, I was laid off. The new cards are a warning.

10:17 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, I actually got a call yesterday at 1:00pm and I was there by 5:30.

Mark, too funny, except the laid off part. I hope nothing changes, though my cards will burn well if something does change.

5:27 AM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

I've carried business cards for many years...mostly because my hand writing stinks. This is so much easier and easy to read.

10:28 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I'm penmanship challenged as well.

5:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home