Saturday, May 01, 2010

Animal Police On Patrol


Living out in the country, or what was once considered as the country, one finds many things that will slow you down as you drive to or from town. I mentioned the speed duck last week, whom I haven’t seen since the day that story posted. I often have my journey slowed because of cows or elk in the road. Sometimes it’s a beaver or nutria in the road. Occasionally there is a horse, sheep or goat in the road. Sometimes I’ve slowed for chickens, geese and guinea foul. Let’s not forget deer or frogs or cats and dogs.

Today I experienced something totally new. I was slowing down near the speed duck’s home and suddenly something darted out in front of my truck and ran ahead as though it wanted me to chase it. It was a peacock and it was really trotting out. I slowed down even further and after about 100 feet it finally went to the side of the road and let me pass. He was a beautiful bird and I hope to see him again when he isn’t running.

4 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

A peacock? Holy snap. I hope somebody near you isn't raising those things. The screeching is nerve wracking.

6:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was out in Fort Stevens the other day when this wild turkey hen sauntered along across the street and leisurely disappeared into the brush. First one I'd seen on this side of the river

http://tinypic.com/r/2ce6vjk/5

8:52 AM  
Blogger g said...

It's never a dull moment on Aldrich Pt. Road. Cows, elk, dogs, skunks, coyotes, sheep, cats, nutria, raccoons, squirrels, deer.

Surf pines is interesting too with pheasant.

9:33 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, a couple miles down the road, but they are a noisy as guinea foul.

Anon, very cool. I've seen them up in the Nehalem Valley but never at Ft Stevens. Cool find and I hope there are more.

Surf Pines, now there is a community that is one tsunami away from extinction. A gated community that can't stop the water from coming in.

6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home