Sunday, May 02, 2010

The Decemberists


We went to see the Decemberists last night (Friday)at the Liberty. Great concert!

It’s been a while since I’ve been to a concert and I found it interesting how the audience dynamic has changed over the years. It used to be that when we went to a concert we suffered through the opening act and were polite. This is no longer the case. As the opening act played lullabys for an hour most people left the concert hall and went for a walk or to the McTavish Room for drinks. Those that remained in their seats made phone calls, texted friends and did all they could from shouting out, “Enough!” Well the last part was me.

Yes, the opening act had more musical talent than I; however they didn’t have the common sense not to subject others to their talent.

Anyway, I was totally surprised by the showmanship of the Decemberists. Their sound system was a bit muddy but somehow everything worked out.

The high-light of the night was when they did the Mariners Revenge song as their encore. Normally the part of the mother singing the words, “Find him, bind him, tie him with a rope and break his fingers to splinters…” is sung with two voices. As it was being sung by one voice, Collin put his microphone down to a little girl singing at the stage front. It was perfect. Her voice was perfect. She knew the words and was in perfect pitch.

After the show we explored some of Astoria’s night life until 12:30. Yeah, hours past my bed time… I’d almost like to write about some of the after parties, but it’s best I don’t.

The Decemberists will be recording a new collection in a couple weeks, which is great since I wearing out The Hazards of Love and Crane Wife. If you ever have the opportunity to see them live, you will be entertained.

Here are some Youtubes of it.

16 Military Wives
Crane Wife
Sons and Daughters

8 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

“I’d almost like to write about some of the after parties, but it’s best I don’t.”
Such a tease!
Well done as to staying up until 12:30 p.m. Planning on a nap today?

5:17 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

And the Rev pats Guy gently on the head as he drools into his pillow. It's a good thing he sets these to post early or we'd all be sitting here going "Hey! What the heck!?"

6:34 AM  
Anonymous auntie said...

You? Parties? Yeah, right..... this I gotta hear about tomorrow.

6:44 AM  
Blogger Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

There's a nice little club I have been to a few times for concerts, very enjoyable...especially as I got spoiled going to outdoor venues like Jacksonville in the summer...

http://www.jamminjava.com/home

12:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

the girl that sung was my daughter, it was her first concert, she and my son were also the ones who sung the chorus at the end of the concert to the mariner's revenge song. best concert ever!!!! we had a great time in Astoria - stuck around to eat a scrumptious lunch at the supper club, do a little shopping and got to see and thank funk who was unloading instruments. those afterparties sounded fun but alas, I had my children (!!)with me. Although I think they would have been the hit of the parties!!

1:53 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth staying up that late ruined the rest of the weekend. I had to do some trail work the next day at 8am. I came home at 11 and slept till 3. Sunday I took two naps and I didn't make the three hour trip to a Board meeting I was supposed to attend.

Darev, I like a routine schedule. I'm not in my 20s anymore and I don't do shift work.

Auntie, if you're nice I'll tell you.

Teri, this concert was in a historically preserved theater. It is a grand hall to say the least.

Amy, that is soooooo cool! Your kids are great. Better yet, you are great because rather than letting them learn kids songs or hymns, you are letting them learn the nasty bits from Mariners Revenge. I love it! Thanks for writing in and for springing for the expensive seats. It was a good cause.

5:23 AM  
Blogger Qoddess said...

You've been quoted!

http://qoddessquotesblogs.blogspot.com/2010/05/quotes-may-7-2010.html

2:59 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Thanks Q. The quote looks better on your blog than mine ; )

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home