Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Wolfram Alpha


I am a big fan of mathematics. That doesn’t mean I’m any good at it. My math skills have by now probably regressed to a pre-algebra state. I’d probably even have trouble with fractions. Being poor at math does not preclude me from being a fan, just as those with no athletic ability can be fans of sport.

I found a Stephen Wolfram lecture from February 2010 on ted.com a couple weeks ago. The title of the talk was, Computing a Theory of Everything. Wolfram discusses how nearly all human knowledge can be made computable. Living in the Internet age every one has access to answers of issues on nearly every level.

Building on his program, Mathematica ,Wolfram created a program called Wolfram | Aalpha, which goes far beyond a search engine. It is an information engine. If you enter a question into a search engine you are often directed to sites where you may or may not find the answer you seek. Wolfram | Alpha on the other hand answers your question. It is primarily based in mathematics and statistics; however I’ve been surprised how many questions it will answer. I asked it how many people are in the military and the detailed answer was astounding. You can ask this program nearly any scientific question and you will find an accurate answer.

You can try it at:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/

6 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

Hmmm...... that one is going to take some poking around. I already managed to confuse it, or possibly myself. If you enjoy mathematical silliness, there's a book called "Metamagical Themas" by Doug Hofstadter that I think you will enjoy immensely. I have the math skills of a two year old and I love the hell out of this book.

5:14 AM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

I see that Monsanto stock is below 53 bucks today. :)

5:53 AM  
Blogger g said...

I love Wolfram Alpha!

7:07 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, you have the week off with nothing better to do...

Tango, Down from what?

g, me too.

5:20 AM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

I put "monsanto" into Wolfram and that's what it gave me.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Monsanto
They were right at $90 middle of last year.

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home