Saturday, May 15, 2010

Mosquitoes


I was working on some trails on Thursday and I was amaze by the volume of mosquitoes in the area. It was like Alaska. I had been warned to bring repellant, but that was the only thing I forgot to bring. A friend had some but not nearly enough to bathe in.

I sliced through a cloud of them with my chainsaw and must have gotten some of them, but they came in an endless stream. I then realized that mosquitoes probably don’t like gasoline very much so I spilled some fuel on my hands and rubbed it on my shirt and my neck and face. It worked pretty well.

I was reminded of the mosquitoes in Canada in May where we would wear mosquito nets and gloves to keep safe from mosquitoes and black flies. We could see clouds of them moving across the lake toward us. We would slather ourselves with 6-12 and light punks and cigars. When the mosquitoes arrived the fishing got better. It was a trade- off.

Thursday there was no trade-off. It was all mosquitoes and no fish. It’s a wonder anything can survive them in the wild.

7 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Never thought of dousing myself in gasoline – but I do know enough NEVER to wear any sort of perfume!
The hordes of these blood-sucking critters is why I don’t mind passing on the holiday long weekend at the cottage in May. My face doubles in size (allergic reaction to the bites).

4:32 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

ooooo.... the skeeters in Alaska were vicious! They sounded like hummingbirds when they flew, their bite felt like a bee sting and would raises a welt the size of a nickel. I thought all the critters grew all that hair for warmth in the winter but it was armor against the bugs.

7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guy, you write very interest info. How do you think of all the subject matters?
I read your blog most everyday and learn so much.
Thank's

5:32 PM  
Anonymous papa said...

I am always looking for a good excuse to smoke a cigar. I don't think I would like to put up with to many mosquitoes.Hope you didn't light up after the gasoline.That would be intresting.

Papa

7:12 PM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Mosk-i-Toes. Just like the photo

7:30 PM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

:) I'm glad to see that you didn't catch on fire.

5:33 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, but that is when trout fishing is the best.

Darev, even with thicker hair there are still some vulnerable areas that must get totally hammered.

Anon, thanks, but realize that every one spends the day thinking of stuff. I just write about one of the things I'm thinking of.

Papa, I haven't had a cigar in years, but that day in the woods made me wonder if I should keep one in the truck for mosquito purposes.

Auntie, love irony...

5:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home