Friday, May 14, 2010

Bested



One problem I had with my gelding was that he was bossy and protective of my wife’s mare. He’d try to bite or kick out at any gelding that got close to her. I was always on alert when riding and often it wasn’t fun because if I let down my guard he’d seize the opportunity. Even when it was just he and the mare together, he’d boss her around letting her know she belonged to him.

After having the mare for nearly two years we sold her and bought her another horse; this time it’s a gelding. This horse is small, 14 hands and mine is 16 hands so I figured my horse would again take charge.

Horses have a really good communication system worked out. Their movements speak volumes to one another. Immediately the new horse looks at my horse and pins his ears back, saying I don’t like you. Then the new horse tosses its head which in horse language means, “Go F… Yourself!” Then my horse lowers his head to say that he is of lesser status than the new horse.

It was sad seeing my horse lose some spirit to a younger gelding, but it was good to see that he was able to take a lesson in humility.

4 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

aw...poor Duke. :(

6:19 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Maybe I need to learn more nonverbal communication skills. Maybe this means that you can relax a little more while riding him now. That would be nice.

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Joni said...

Funny that a gelding acted like "you are mine" to the now-departed mare, when there wasn't a darned ed thing he could do to prove it! (wink)

I hope the new horse works out!

9:35 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Auntie, it's good for him.

Darev, I'm sure the inmates can read you like a book.

Joni, I guess it depends on how late in life they were gelded. Though every year he is doing fewer things that one would consider studly, but put a mare in heat around him and he wakes up.

6:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home