Monday, May 17, 2010

Elections


What is it that makes someone a born leader? How it is one person’s vision of the future is better than another person’s vision? I’ve been in leadership positions before and it isn’t all that difficult, but I never enjoyed it. I’m in a leadership position right now with an organization and I’m looking forward to stepping down in six months. I don’t want to know about the petty stuff that goes on behind the scenes and have to wield commonsense and wisdom to keep things from getting out of control.

Here we are again at another election season. I realized long ago that I shouldn’t wager on elections because who really knows? Though, a wager is often the only positive thing that comes from an election. If you win or lose, the results are immediate and not one that history dictates.

There are several things I don’t like about elections; lawn signs come to mind as a waste especially when one displays every sign their party has to offer. Trust me, if you have an anti LNG sign on your lawn that should be enough to tell the world who you’ll be voting for. We can go right down the line with no surprises. Sadly all these signs are destine to litter land-fills next week.

I don’t like that having no party affiliation I am not allowed to vote for anyone on the primary ticket for either party. Allowing everyone to vote for any candidate will immediately let all candidates know where they stand with their wild cards; Independent voters.

I don’t like it when multiple candidates run as a philosophical block. It shows their like-mindedness will prevent them from listening to reason when it is called for. One will be doing it because they have some secret pact.

I wish candidates would end their relationships with political parties. This way people would really pick candidates for their personal merits rather that the block of ideals the party stands for. It would free candidates to think for themselves and come up with ideas and policies that don’t fit a pattern. I know that the party throws money at a candidate, but to me the party system is unacceptable.

It is said that people get the government they deserve and how ever this election turns out a lot of people will feel cheated. There is no longer a middle road. The tricks of the parties are dirty and getting dirtier all the time. We are more divided because of the politics. In this climate there are no winners.

8 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

I suspect that if our founding fathers were to return and see what a mess we have made of the system they would fly into a rage. If I could afford it, I'd buy a large chunk of somewhere out of the way and rural and proceed to secede from the union!

6:26 AM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

darev...You and me both!! Here's to us winning some kind of lottery.

10:48 AM  
Blogger g said...

Good luck with that politic.

Beware of the "I'm for government transparency candidate"

It simply doesn't exist. If it did, special interest would be no more.

7:25 PM  
Blogger mark said...

Can't say for sure why it is, but elective office seems to attract the kinds of people least qualified to lead. There have been exceptions (hi Glen!), but the general rule seems to be that thoughtful folks avoid running for office.

10:29 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Actually the fore fathers were just as bad, Hamilton and Adams were always pulling in different directions.

Tango, I never play. It's a stupid tax.

g, I'd rather government not be transparent.

Mark there is a high associated with it. That's why when decisions are made we ask, Were they high when they made that choice?"

5:14 AM  
Anonymous Uncle Walt said...

Rev & Tango ... looked into the FreeStateProject? lol

The problem with doing away with political parties, is that it would mean (1) Candidates would have to spend MORE time raising money and be MORE open to "outside influence", or (2) "to be fair" the gov't would give money to candidates. IMO, the 2nd possibility is even worse since it would mean the gov't could control who would be able to run.

2:27 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Walt, the parties themselves are outside and inside influences and it should be ideas and not money that pushes the good candidate forward.

5:22 AM  
Blogger g said...

Mark: I gotta kick out your statement! LOL! I was 26 years young when I was first elected and was full of youthful energy - the kind that thought he could make a difference. I feel we made a small impact but overall in the end, I felt like people didn't really care about what we were doing. So I lost interest. I see a lot of good people in politics and see a lot of other well qualified people on the sidelines unwilling to enter the fray. That's a bummer but I now understand why they don't. It's not worth it. Too many kool-aid drinkers in Clatsop County.

And of course we have the special needs bunch at the port.

Guy: You sir, are correct. "Transparency" is used as a negative. Once again, most (a majority) could give a rip. Make it an issue? Yeah, then it's in the heat of the moment. Our local newspaper is good about making something out of nothing.

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home